Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

21 - 40 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Another delight in my life, broke a upper shock bolt in the rear. The good news is the fix is in the mail. Took a try on the upper shackle bolt, boy it is tight, I haven't even got it to turn. And lve been periodically spraying this crap with on. I'm really not trying to cut and all that stuff.

·
Super Moderator
10,445 Posts
Yep that sounds about right. Did you order the little bracket that goes up inside with the nuts welded on?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sure did, now I'm kicking around the idea of bar pin eliminators, I dunno still thinking

·
Super Moderator
10,445 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Sure did, now I'm kicking around the idea of bar pin eliminators, I dunno still thinking

Agreed, If you’re putting in the flag nuts get the BPEs at the same time, you’ll thank yourself next time you swap shocks!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks guys, that's what I'm doing. Actually already have the new shocks. Last night, I beat the old washers out with a screwdriver and a BFH. A little aggravating, thankfully, I'm a patient woman.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Last night when I was beating out the shock nuts. I was looking at my frame rail, to notice a small crack on the unibody right above the rear wheel. To my horror when I pushed it my finger went thru. Well this angered me, every bit of the frame is in excellent shape. Was coated at the factory. I got my screwdriver and Hammer, and just started chipping. I could not fathom what has done this, and then I began looking, the hatch floorboard has rotted. Water has kicked up, soaked in, and somehow been draining into the rear frame rail channel. Ugh

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,261 Posts
Ouch, that is going to need some TLC

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You bet. I'm thankful it's just there, and a straight price. I think it's totally doable.

·
Super Moderator
10,445 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Nice write up, goes along with all my research. What a recovery, great work. If mine was ruff all over, I dunno about it, lol. But all jokes aside, Im thankful it's just there. On the other hand, if I just do the rear, and it's only one side that is damaged. I'll have to upgrade and do the centers. And yes, it strengthens the unibody , point well taken. My pocket book is already to it's conclusion. And I was really trying to do a tire upgrade. I suppose not now ?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Oh one more question did you have to drop the gas tank to get in on the passenger rear, the straight run above the tire IMG_20191115_130340_1573876886894.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,445 Posts
No I did not drop my tank. I glued the floor boards above it and I used a welders blanket on the side when I welded my stiffeners near there. But I also have a nut strip inside my frame rail and a custom built gas tank skid. So the frame stiffener is sandwiched between all this.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks so much for all the info. It really helps me figure out what I need to do. This cancer just broke my heart when I found it. You guys at the forums have made me realize that nothing is impossible, maybe a pain, but not impossible ?

·
Super Moderator
10,445 Posts
Thanks so much for all the info. It really helps me figure out what I need to do. This cancer just broke my heart when I found it. You guys at the forums have made me realize that nothing is impossible, maybe a pain, but not impossible ?
You're welcome.
Just about everything that can be done or needs done has be done by someone in this forum. So we don't mind helping out! Keep us posted.
When I went to the junk yard to get my air box. They were crushing XJ's. ? broke my heart. They aren't making any more, so we have to do everything we can to keep them on the road.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Your not joking, I see them took for scrap all the time around here. A couple of years ago, it was really bad for all older vehicles. It seemed like everything from 2000 and older didn't stand a chance.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
One of the boneyards that I deal with just crushed a '99 XJ just cause they got another '97 and up complete one in.
And IMO there was still plenty of parts to get off the first one.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Makes me throw up , lol . It's so stupid. And you would think they would want to sell them to the junk yard. There are still everywhere on the road. Jeep for life

·
Super Moderator
10,445 Posts
It's a matter of economics and areal estate. How much can they make off the vehicle taking up that space. After the big items, motor trans, t-case axles, are gone, its worth more for the steel than the left over parts. And they can make more off the newer stuff than hanging on to the older, hoping people come looking.

21 - 40 of 208 Posts