Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

Registered
Water pump funeral
Noticing you used a FelPro gasket for the thermostat.
Use one for the waterpump too?
Also did you use RTV there?
I only bring it up because I did that whole job this past summer on the '00 myself.
One of the things I was curious about was using gunk there.
So I asked online and researched it.
FelPro was very adamant about not using it.

Super Moderator
Nice job on the wump! Yeah, silicon (RTV) is not a good thing around the t stat housing. As you can see, it actually infiltrated the t stat which will either diminish its performance or stop it all together. And if chunks break off and go floating around your cooling system they can plug up your heater core or radiator. I have used a very thin smear of chassis grease on gaskets to hold them in place.
馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter #43
I use a thin coat of rtv on all gaskets, regardless. Yes, I used a gasket with the water pump. The felpro that I had for the pump I did not like the seal, so I used the provided gasket with the wp. I agree with the rtv, but I only use it as a dressing. And after seeing what a mess it was before, I don't think a little will compromise anything.

Registered
Discussion Starter #44
Also, even though I cleaned, used a brass brush, I didn't really like the surface for my tstat. I used a thin coat just to seal any imperfections for my peace of mine.. The pic is before I cleaned it, it was pitted but I thought there was some scarring on the metal

Attachments

Super Moderator
I don't think a thin smear will hurt anything, like you said just to fill in small imperfections. I'll be fine.

Premium Member
An example of more is better and too much is not just right

Registered
Discussion Starter #48
When I took that housing off and saw that red mess, I could have killed someone. It was just a mess

Registered
Discussion Starter #49
A little input please? I'm looking for a greasable bolt/bushing kit for my leaf springs, like front main eye, rear eye to shackle. I have the shackle to frame bushing. I'm trying to figure out the most cost effective way to do this. I'm leaning on buying a poly kit, drilling the sleeves, and buying the greasable bolts separate. IDK, if anyone got a good deal, or knows a good website. I've been looking at these Daystar kits KJO2026BK, but I believe they are just the shackles (eye to shackle,shackle to frame) as I do not need the latter鈽 opinions welcome and appreciated

Super Moderator
I have Metalcloak Duroflex joints. in my upper control arms. They are flexible and greasable joints which let the bushing spins in the housing. Check out the link. Takes a little work to get them in, but it may be what your are looking for.

Registered
Discussion Starter #51
I have Metalcloak Duroflex joints. in my upper control arms. They are flexible and greasable joints which let the bushing spins in the housing. Check out the link. Takes a little work to get them in, but it may be what your are looking for.
Wow, those are re diameterally nice, and they are what I'm looking for, I'm going to have to get a definite diameter on the rear eye. They have just the bushings,I dunno. You definitely gave me ideas about the control arms. I need to replace them, that's the only ones I missed in the front bushing replacement of 2019.

Super Moderator
they come with a little container of grease, which reminds me. i need to grease mine! :D

Registered
Discussion Starter #55
Just making progress thru the back. New shackles, greasable bushings and bolts, add a leaf, bar pin eliminators

Attachments

Super Moderator
Nice work, but from experience, those shackles are gonna be harsh. They should be on an angle.

Registered
Discussion Starter #57
Will repost when done, my rear axle is dropped right now, repurposing the leaf packs. Hadn't even tightener them up yet. When I get it all set ill take another pic

Super Moderator
Will repost when done, my rear axle is dropped right now, repurposing the leaf packs. Hadn't even tightener them up yet. When I get it all set ill take another pic
Just a piece of advice, make sure all the weight of the vehicle is on the suspension before you tighten it up.

Registered
Discussion Starter #60
Well, I purchased a new set of shocks to go on the front. This started as a refresh all the the mechanical stuff, put a little lift on. The more I do the more I want. And it really sucks because I replaced some stuff with factory and will probably have to change it out. For example the track bar, bought a Moog factory replacement, most likely will need to upgrade to adjustable. I totally regret the longer shackles, wish I would have done relocation brackets. These longer shocks, I lifted this Jeep enough it extended the Gabriel Ultras to the top.( Which I had lifetime warranty on them on this was a second set.)I really wish I would have known more. I don't regret it, I have learnt a lot. It's my fault, when I get started I want to do more. Ordered new engine mounts, went with poly. I know harsh ride, hopefully I can dial them in to a proper torque. I had already bought a new tranny rubber mount. I'm going to do all three. Did all the ujoints in the driveshaft, and serviced the tcase. Will have more pics soon with some progress

41 - 60 of 63 Posts