Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

121 - 140 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Box o parts finally arrived, but I have not had a chance to dive in. Hopefully this week, I'll have the wheel hubs, u joints, ball joints, new longer steel breaklines, will be installed. I would like to attack the leaking front Dana 30 pinion output seal as well, but I'm nervous about it. And get my new diff cover on. But that's a lot for a one woman operation. I'll leave updates, see how far I can get.

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
The pinion seal is not that bad. But, you have to get the torque on the pinion nut exactly where it was. Take a chisel and put a mark on the pinion shaft and nut, so you can put it back exactly where it was. But you certainly have your work cut out for you. Everything you are doing I have already done, so don't hesitate to ask.
When you do the wheel bearings, you might as well do the ujoints and the ball joints together. Do 1 side at a time. I would do the brake lines last. I'm trying to think ahead so you don't wind up with your Jeep completely dead in the water.

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
One of the things about the crush sleeves on those Dana axles is that the nut appears to back off. Rather than get it where it was, tighten it up so that there is no play in it. 8 newton meters rotational resistance is the right number, which is tight but not so tight that it turn hard

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
My Dana 30 has shims and no crush sleeve. With the carrier installed its hard to determine rotational torque. I also have a auto locker. Which gives me about 1/3 turn before I start taking out all the play. I know some crush sleeves are a mofo to get torqued down. Standing on a 6' cheater pipe to get it torqued. How they ever loosen up is a mystery to me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Omg guys, really just for the outer seal. This has got me really spooked. I just have a leak at the seal,( wore out) from what I understood, remove DS, remove nut, remove old seal, install new seal, new nut, torque to 180 to 200 ft pd, call it good. But it seems my research is wrong. This is something I really don't want going bad.

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
I'm sorry, not trying to scare you. Just want you to be well informed. It's not a bad job. You should try to get an idea of how much torque is on the pinion before you start. As long as you go back to that, you are mint. You can drop the drive shaft then take everything off the drivers side. If you don't have a locker, then just taking out the drivers side axle will let only the carrier turn. Piece of cake

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
I have to take out the short axles anyway to replace those u joints when I do the wheel hubs. I just didn't think I would have to disassemble so much just to replace the oil seal at the back of the diff. I have been so lucky with this lift and driveline vibes, that it would be a kick in the face to throw it all off with a stupid oil seal. Thanks for the input. Maybe I need to study a bit more on this.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
But what your saying is I need to release all hold the diff has on the output shaft, so when I tighten it doesn't fubar the gears inside while I'm manhandling to tighten this thing up

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
🤗 you won't fubar the gears. The only thing you will affect is the pinion bearings. But pulling Everything out will help. Rule of thumb, bearings are better to be too loose, than to be too tight. Guys that have lots of experience with gears can generally tell by feel. We less experienced and anal will check the torque with a wrench. But if you mark the nut and the pinion at the same spot, as long as you put it back exactly where it was, You'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
Yes to what Gluck said. I wasn't trying to alarm you, just make a note of something that plagues many people with the high pinion front end. Which is why crush sleeve eliminators are marketed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Week progress... nothing. Wonk wonk wonk, such a failure. Not entirely my fault. Apparently ups lost my 5-760 u joints in salt lake city, go figure. Never have had this problem before with Amazon. Who knows maybe they were overtaken from the truck and chucked at people or statues. ( Bad joke) but honestly I have never had ups or Amazon lose anything. What is really going on? Kinda off topic, but not really, I have had a problem with the postal service this week anyway. My regular postman is on vacation, so they had some lady substitute this week. I have not received 1 peice of mail this week, and had attempted to mail out a letter. Flag up, I tried to mail this all week, she would not pick it up. By Friday I was pissed 😠, and wrote a note asking why it was not being picked up. She "politely" (not really) placed a note on her personal stationary inside my box informing me that there was a spider in my box and she refused to stick her hand in to get out my mail. But she opened my box and stuck her hand in to place this lovely note. Well it was new news to me, considering I check my mail everyday, and had pulled this letter out to inspect it, make sure I had stamped it etc. So who knows, has the world went crazy? I took pics of my mailbox, under, inside on the sides, I can't find the alleged spider, I do have a sign mounted on my box that might have put her off, but still they are civil servants. Tomorrow I and the postmaster are going to have a chat, sorry... End rant.

·
Super Moderator
10,179 Posts
After having wasted many hours watching youtube videos of traffic accidents involving delivery trucks, it's possible your package was involved in a accident. I dunno, I'm a glass half fool kinda guy! 😉 as far as your route delivery person goes, they should have left that note the first day, or at least have the postmaster contact you. I say, give 'em hell!

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
UPS mis delivered one of mine too.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.
Unless it's a big ass spider. Then all bets are off.....

121 - 140 of 156 Posts