Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this 2000 Cherokee today.:D I replaced the gas struts to hold up the rear hatch. I also put seat covers and rubber floor mats in. Not very hard or mechanical things to do. But its a start and will protect the interior. Almost forgot steering wheel cover that says JEEP.
Tomorrow I will be putting 4 tires on. General Grabber AT2 235 65 R15
Also trying to figure out why the heat is not very warm.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Have you checked your coolant level? Also may want to give it a heater core flush

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Also make sure you actually have a thermostat. The 4.0 is designed to run hotter than most motors and some people put the thermostat thinking this helps them run cooler. Nice looking Jeep!

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Also make sure the PO didn't pull the thermostat out thinking the Jeep was running hot. The 4.0 is designed to run hotter than most. If you put one in make sure it's 195 degree opening.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Hurry and go pull the old struts out of the trash can you threw them in and save them to install under the hood. Best thing I ever did to my Jeep.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I didn't get to work on the heat problem. Tomorrows project is the heat.
Thats a good idea for the struts on the hood! Thanks. Can you post a couple of pictures for me?
Today I swapped tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Pics are buried in my build thread somewhere. Or in one of the diy threads. Try to search it.

·
Administrator
6,410 Posts
You'll like the Grabbers. Great all-around tire.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are just like the old BF all terrains. I used to run those on my chevys. I swapped the Generals off my 97 blazer. Bought them in June. I do like them.
My dad saw them and got a set for his Ford Ranger. He likes them to and now wants to go wheeling lol.
Dad has 2 MGB sportscars a 1974 and 1975. One with a chevy 2.8 V6 and one with a MG 4 cylinder with a supercharger.

·
Administrator
6,410 Posts
I'd make a comment about a 2.8 being swapped into anything but for an MG that's gotta be a seriously fun car to drive haha.

Feed his addiction! Danger Rangers can be insanely fun little wheelers when done well.

·
Registered
927 Posts
What size are those AT2s?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They are 235/75R15 the size of the Generals.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today I worked on the heat problem. The used Jeep dealer I got it from told me they replaced the water pump, thermostat and radiator. The fluid was very Green and clean.
I tried to purge the air from the heater core. Got nasty rusty brown old coolant out of it.
Which had now crapped up the good coolant :thumbdown:
Heat still not hot at all. So I took the heater hoses off the water pump. Then blasted the garden hose through it both directions until it was running clean.filled the heater core and hoses with new fluid. Careful to not have much air in it.
The heat was now coming out very hot and nice :thumbsup:
Went for a drive and to pick up beer. The heat still coming out warm. But not as hot as it did after flushing the core. :brickwall:
Screw it for now. getting ready for party tonight.

·
Super Moderator
10,284 Posts
You need to clean your heater core some more. Maybe try and use some CLR in it to help loosen up the gunk. CLR can harm aluminum so don't let it soak too long.

·
Registered
670 Posts
X2 on what Gluck said. I'm sure your glad have some heat cause it's mighty COLD this time of year in CT.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not to be rude but the tire appears to have a lot of random weights. It's been years but I used to do tires for a living. That would set me investigating. Possible separation or out of round. Be safe. Not meaning rudely. They look amazing. Great size choice. Is that stock height for the suspension. Is there rubbing?

·
Super Moderator
1,127 Posts
Go and put your rig in the stock Cherokee of the Month. You usually need to flush the heater core more than once to get all the crap out of it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You need to clean your heater core some more. Maybe try and use some CLR in it to help loosen up the gunk. CLR can harm aluminum so don't let it soak too long.
Not to be rude but the tire appears to have a lot of random weights. It's been years but I used to do tires for a living. That would set me investigating. Possible separation or out of round. Be safe. Not meaning rudely. They look amazing. Great size choice. Is that stock height for the suspension. Is there rubbing?
Gluck I will try that. Also going to change and flush all the coolant and motor and radiator.
Grass some of what looks like weights is where the old weights were before someone painted the rims. It does have quite a bit of weight on it though.
I had these tires on a blazer they had much less weight then.
Could it be the rims are not very good? Look like cheep steel ones to me.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its stock suspension. A bit sagging in the rear no rub but i haven't done anything too crazy. Although my driveway is stupidly steep. Most normal vehicles have a rough time in the driveway LOL.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Go and put your rig in the stock Cherokee of the Month. You usually need to flush the heater core more than once to get all the crap out of it.
You think I should? Eh its got a saggy headliner crap heat and new development. A leak in the windshield or roof I am guessing? Its raining fairly hard here. My passenger seat is wet along the front edge.
Might put it in next month after I get that stuff fixed. The headliner is probably going to be a pain.
But thanks for suggesting it :)

1 - 20 of 99 Posts