Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It feels like it. I can't believe how light the jeep is. I was up at a red light with the roads covered with hard packed snow. It was a very slight incline, maybe 3 or 4 degrees. A dodge ram (1998ish) pulled up next to me. Red turns green and i slowly gas it. The tires spin and spin and spin as i move inches per second. The dodge ram is already up there with just a slight spin. This was my first snow experience with the xj. Over the weeks i've been able to play with it more and get an idea how it handles. I gotta say it's super light in the back and can spin out on command. Drifting in the snow is effortless and i find it quite fun :):thumbsup: Heck i drifted all the way home from work at 4 in the morning. It took some getting used to how it handles in the snow but i think i got it down good. I'm so used to how the TJ handled the snow. It always had traction , as it would dig straight down to the road instantly and get going, and wasn't as easy to drift.

Anyone thnk it's light? use any weight in the back? I was thinkin of throwing in some big blocks i have laying around.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
It feels like it. I can't believe how light the jeep is. I was up at a red light with the roads covered with hard packed snow. It was a very slight incline, maybe 3 or 4 degrees. A dodge ram (1998ish) pulled up next to me. Red turns green and i slowly gas it. The tires spin and spin and spin as i move inches per second. The dodge ram is already up there with just a slight spin. This was my first snow experience with the xj. Over the weeks i've been able to play with it more and get an idea how it handles. I gotta say it's super light in the back and can spin out on command. Drifting in the snow is effortless and i find it quite fun :):thumbsup: Heck i drifted all the way home from work at 4 in the morning. It took some getting used to how it handles in the snow but i think i got it down good. I'm so used to how the TJ handled the snow. It always had traction , as it would dig straight down to the road instantly and get going, and wasn't as easy to drift.

Anyone thnk it's light? use any weight in the back? I was thinkin of throwing in some big blocks i have laying around.
Be careful my snow drifting friend. I read recently that someone hit a patch of black ice, went sideways until the ice stopped and the tracation resumed. Unfortunatly he was still sideways, and the XJ rolled on to it's top.

Yeah I know, I'd still do it too.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Be careful my snow drifting friend. I read recently that someone hit a patch of black ice, went sideways until the ice stopped and the tracation resumed. Unfortunatly he was still sideways, and the XJ rolled on to it's top.

Yeah I know, I'd still do it too.
Yeah that's my fear. I only do it when the entire road is white, like it was last night. It was packed down snow, the good slippery stuff. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
i think its pretty light also i dont have any weight in mine though

i was in a walgreens lot last night and couldnt help my self i just did a couple doughnuts around a light pole and parked:rofl:, my wife hates that stuff when i had a 2wd dakota probaly 70% of the winter i was sideways, my son realy likes doing the doughnuts cause he's big enough to look out the window now :rock:

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

i was in a walgreens lot last night and couldnt help my self i just did a couple doughnuts around a light pole and parked:rofl:, my wife hates that stuff when i had a 2wd dakota probaly 70% of the winter i was sideways, my son realy likes doing the doughnuts cause he's big enough to look out the window now :rock:
is that your dakota in the avatar?

·
Registered
81 Posts
yes the XJ is very light in the rear. if your wanting to spend most of your snow time in 2wd then yes a few extra lbs of weight in the rear would probably be a good idea. a couple bags of kitty litter would be a nice idea because they also work as a traction aid in an emergency that 4wd wont fix.

TJ's have an almost perfect weight balance. I think their ratio is something like 51/49 front to rear weight balance. the XJ is MUCH more nose heavy not to mention the TJ is overall heavier than an XJ to begin with.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no thats my brothers durango

i was going the mini truck route with the dakota

edit wit a pic
NICE :thumbsup: I had the same truck before my wranger and cherokee:

2wd :D

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts

We stopped to get gas in my wife's mustang. 6 cylinder standard. After I put the gas in and was driving off, I reved a little and then dropped the clutch and did a nice 180 on the slick store parking lot.

My wife freaked out! It really scared her. The girls loved it. lol

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
yes the XJ is very light in the rear. if your wanting to spend most of your snow time in 2wd then yes a few extra lbs of weight in the rear would probably be a good idea. a couple bags of kitty litter would be a nice idea because they also work as a traction aid in an emergency that 4wd wont fix.

TJ's have an almost perfect weight balance. I think their ratio is something like 51/49 front to rear weight balance. the XJ is MUCH more nose heavy not to mention the TJ is overall heavier than an XJ to begin with.
Wow, that's an excellent idea. I'm going to remember that one.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
NICE :thumbsup: I had the same truck before my wranger and cherokee:

2wd :D
i was going to lift it cause i liked off road trucks but all my freinds were in to lowriders,mini trucks,and show trucks so they convinced me that a 2wd shouldnt be lifted i fell for it and had that truck looking better then when i bought it bran new.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was going to lift it cause i liked off road trucks but all my freinds were in to lowriders,mini trucks,and show trucks so they convinced me that a 2wd shouldnt be lifted i fell for it and had that truck looking better then when i bought it bran new.
Peer Pressure ;)

All my friends had lifted 4x4's and I couldn't stand being 10" lower than everyone so I lifted it 8" and put a lockright in the back. People never knew it was 2wd....until i got stuck. :rofl:

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I found the XJ light as well, but with the NP242 it was hardly noticeable because I'd just pop it into Full-Time in rain or snow and never look back. Take-offs were a breeze. As cliched as it may sound though, just remember that our rigs don't stop any faster just because they can take off better than others.

I now daily drive a '99 Toyota 4Runner, and talk about being light. The 'Yota can barely get out of it's own way, but if it's rainy or snowy, it takes the slight goose of the throttle to get the rear tires to spin. I think it also has to do with the tires, although they're only a year old and in terrific shape, they clog up with snow in a second and turn into a slick.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Cherokees aren't light in the rear. At least not by my standards... I never put weight in mine. I would put a couple sandbags in my MJ - again sand can be used as a traction aid if needed. Once I had it at the point that it was lifted and had the flat deck, I didn't bother. It actually drove really well, I though, aside from the whole front spool thing.

My stupid dodge weighs about 6500lbs empty. With the front end accounting for around 4500 of that. It's not reasonable. You can 'get bent' if you want, but often it simply has so little traction in 2wd that you just don't go anywhere instead. It does a nice 1 tire fire (I guess I burned up the L/S, oops) and you go nowhere.

·
Registered
81 Posts
ok well if we are comparing the XJ to an open bed pick up like an MJ or other p/u then yes the XJ is better at the front/rear weight ratio
but he (original poster) was specifically comparing his XJ to his wrangler and between the 2 the XJ has a worse ratio being lighter in the rear than the wrangler.
I came from driving lowered 2wd trucks in the snow as well before having my XJ so I am also comfortable with it the way it is, but it coulod stand to use a lil extra weight in the back in 2wd

·
Registered
104 Posts
My Jeep has bald ass tires, and i live in NY state. It deff. snows around here. Even with the horrible tires, my Jeeps pretty good in the snow. It takes a little effort to get going after a light or something but you just have to get the hang of it. If there's an issue and I simply can not get going, i go to 4 wheel. No biggie. My girlfriends RSX is awesome in the snow. It's like a little 200hp go kart drift machine. Anyway, i have yet to take the XJ into any significant snow, ie. over 10 inches. I look foreward to it.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My Jeep has bald ass tires, and i live in NY state. It deff. snows around here. Even with the horrible tires, my Jeeps pretty good in the snow. It takes a little effort to get going after a light or something but you just have to get the hang of it. If there's an issue and I simply can not get going, i go to 4 wheel. No biggie. My girlfriends RSX is awesome in the snow. It's like a little 200hp go kart drift machine. Anyway, i have yet to take the XJ into any significant snow, ie. over 10 inches. I look foreward to it.
Definately snows in NY. I was in Rochester for a couple years (RIT) and boy i never seen so much snow before in my life. 2-3 feet was the norm! :bow::bow::bow:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts