Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 393 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I figured that since I have been on here awhile, I figured I should start a build thread. My name is TJ and this is my baby the day I picked her up. She came with a 4.5" Rusty's short arm lift and 31's and only had 140,000 miles on the ticker.

Since I have bought her I have done quite a bit to it. The first upgrade was rock sliders.

Though I wish I could take credit for making these, I actually purchased them from a guy locally since I did not have a welder at the time. Installation was pretty easy. Here is some pics of them installed.

Next on my mod list was to get rid of the fender flares and trim the fenders. After taking it wheeling a few times, I realized it was time since I almost ripped one off, lol! Now granted, I know that if you cut to far into the rear, you will have to do something to get the body panels back together. You don't have to do what I did, but I was looking for maximum clearance and thought this way will work fine for me.

I did the front first, and basically followed the outline of the old fender flares. I cut it a 1/2" short of that line and basically cut some tabs in the corners and folded everything under the fender.

Now that the front were done, I moved my efforts to the rear.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes I know I cut more then I should, but I have a master plan.

Once I finished welding it all up, I cleaned up the bottom and sprayed rubberized undercoating on it.

And the finished product.

Then it was on to the other side.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next up was the winch bumper. I went with the Rough Country one for the price.

Now all i need is a winch. :D

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next up was the hood vents. I had read a lot about the 4.0 putting off a lot of heat and wanted to find a way to vent that heat out from under the hood. I found on another forum somebody had used these little things called Lebaron hood vents.

So I installed them. Here is some pics of the install.

I had to make rails for underneath the hood to help keep them secure, but I don't have any pics of them.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
After wheeling it for awhile the way it was, i finally found my weak spot, here it was.

And this is what it caused me to get.

It flexed so much on me that it broke a bolt off right in the block and after it was all said and done, I got the bolt out but it messed up the threads and 2 bolts was not going to hold the motor mount on, so I chose to go with the Brown Dog mounts to eliminate any further issues.

Well worth there weight in gold if you ask me.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So now we all know that we can't leave our jeeps alone, and so I continued to transform. I decided to change out my center console and for obvious reasons, NO CUP HOLDERS! So I did this:

Now I have cup holders! lol

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So for awhile now when wheeling, I kept hitting my head on that pesky little split window that was on my 95'. So I decided it was time for a change and I did this:

I decided to swap in 98' doors to get rid of that window. :D No more head knocker for this guy.

Had to change the door latch, but it wasn't too hard to do.

Once the door was mounted and everything aligned and adjusted, I noticed the paint didn't quite match, so the OCD in me wouldn't let it go so I had to paint it to match.

The paint still does not quite match up, but at some point I will end up changing the color of the whole thing.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I finally got my winch and got it mounted on the bumper. I also added some 4" Led lights as well.

In my continuance of constantly upgrading my ride, I originally was going to do a SYE on my tcase, but the only thing available for my 242 was a hack n tap. I am not vary fond of them, so I searched for a 231 and bought a SYE kit for it. Had it all ready to put in, when I came across this beauty!

I got this with it as well.

And so the transformation began. To make this thing work, I first needed to purchase a clocking ring. I picked this up from Novak Adapters.

Got it all painted up and ready to install.

With the 300 being flipped, I had to add a vent to the top, so I drilled a hole and welded a washer to it and then tapped the hole. This is the finished product.

After struggling to install it, I ended up having to shave a little off the side of the shifter rail to clearance it from the transmission housing.

Next I had to make a bracket to support the shifters.

Then I painted it and installed it.

A view of the shifters in the console.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Then I picked up a great deal on a set of axles. I picked up a locked, geared and trussed hp30 and a locked and geared d44.

The front was originally set up for a 3 link and for my set up that was not going to work, so I had to add a upper link mount on the passenger side.

Here is the rear.

Before I put it in, I know I was going to go to 35's so for added precaution, I welded the axles to the center section.

Did a little painting and then got it installed.

Then it was off to do the steering and install a new track bar since the old would not work with my new axle.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now with the new axles in, I turned my attention back to the front axle and making the steering and track bar play nice with each other.

I went with heims in the front since my ultimate goal was to make this thing a trailer queen down the road. if your wondering how I got over the knuckle steering, that is a a teraflex knuckle on the passenger side. :D

In fashion sense I had to keep with the red theme and paint my coils and steering linkage. lol
Now it was on to the track bar.

Here is everything playing nicely with each other.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With being fully locked now, this thing is really point and shoot. But just like every other jeep on this planet, you just can't leave them alone. I had been noticing the my bumper or work bench as my buddies call it, was hitting a lot of obstacles. So came project work bench delete.

As you can see, it does stick out quite a bit and something needed to be done, so I decided to push it back about 3 to 4 inches. That is all I had before the winch plate started to hit the cross member.

Here you can see a better idea of how far it sticks out.

So i started by cutting down the mounting brackets that came with the bumper.

With the brackets cut down, i tested fitted the bumper and noticed that I was going to have to cut the bumper down some how to make it fit better.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Nice. Im jealous. Im overdue to get more done on my Jeep. Yours is looking great.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here you can see I am going to have to trim some of the grill to make the winch fit in the bumper.

But before I can worry about this, I had to cut the bumper to make it fit nice and neat.

I was liking how it turned out.

And here you can see how I had to trim the bezel to make it fit.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Definitely like how much more room I have up front.

Then I added this.

Then I added some tabs for my new light bar.

Here it is before I did some finishing to it.

And here is the finished product.

And it installed with lights and everything.

·
Premium Member
9,185 Posts
Looks like very nice work. I like the levers in the console. I did about the same thing only I pop riveted the edges of the boot to the console plastic so it made a tight fit

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So now that everybody is caught up with the build, my latest project is frame stiffeners for the front, middle, and rear. Then I will be building a new crossmember and building a 3 link set up for the front. So far I have the front done and most of the middle done. I first started with taking the front suspension out to make room to get the stiffeners on.

Then I picked up a set of these on the cheap. They are HD offered stiffeners and started drilling some holes in the middle of them.

Then I cleaned up the front with a stripping pad on my angle grinder. Set the stiffener in place and welded it in.

Then I removed the lower control mount. No turning back now, lol.

1 - 20 of 393 Posts