White
Ax-15
np231
rear end i will check tomorrow
odometer stopped at 269xxx that was about 30000 miles ago so around 300xxx

The good:
5 speed
new t-case
has new gears with about 3000 miles on them stock gears.
new brakes
and a working radio

The bad
cosmedic damage
gears need shiming

Pics will come tommorrow!

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
How come you bought an older xj with so many miles?

Still cool though.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cause it is what i want. 2DOOR 5SPEED 4.0L

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I love the 96 and older Cherokees. I dont like the 97 and up rounded looks. I also dont like the interior. I would trade my 99 2 door anyday for a 96 or older 2 door.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Congrats on finding a new XJ!

Have to admit that it sounds pretty rare - 2dr, 5 spd, 4.0 with the NP242. First time I ever heard of someone owning one like that. :rock:

I hope you have alot of luck with it. Don't let the mileage scare you, you can always replace the engine/trans/etc with lower-mileage donors.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I know you've been missing your XJ, so congrats. As long as you like it that's all that really matters.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
So how much did you pay for it?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I just got back from getting my new xj.

1993 2dr Sport
White
AW15
np242
rear end i will check tomorrow
odometer stopped at 269xxx that was about 30000 miles ago so around 300xxx

The good:
5 speed
new t-case
has new gears with about 3000 miles on them stock gears.
new brakes
and a working radio

The bad
cosmedic damage
gears need shiming

Pics will come tommorrow!
Cool Deal!!! And C'mon Finney, find one of us WITHOUT cosmetic damage...:rofl::cheers:

·
Registered
307 Posts
that AX15 will do you well, but at that high of miles man....bad choice

why did the PO swap to an np242 instead of an np231? check over the shifter linkages to be sure that they are set right, and look at the tag on the t-case to be sure it's a 242. only say this because 242's NEVER came factory with a 5 speed.

how's the rust?

and...how much did you pay?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that AX15 will do you well, but at that high of miles man....bad choice

why did the PO swap to an np242 instead of an np231? check over the shifter linkages to be sure that they are set right, and look at the tag on the t-case to be sure it's a 242. only say this because 242's NEVER came factory with a 5 speed.

how's the rust?

and...how much did you pay?
Thanks for the corections. I was thinking of his other cherokee that he put the 242 in mine is the 231 just has been swapped out for a jy when the other went bad. floors are great no rust yet. srry for all the mix up i was tried last nite when i typed this tread pics will come when i get the camera charged.

·
Registered
307 Posts
sweet. I'm excited to see pics!

and glad you're back in an xj...how's the shoulder?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The shoulder is sore every now and again. pics are uploading to photobucket now.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Which rear is this? Flat bottom so it is a chry rear right?

What part of the t-case is this because it has a sensor that aint hooked up cuz of the wrong plug.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
That dip/dent in the roof along the framerail concerns me a bit. Did you check the framerails to make sure that they were in good shape, not bent, and/or rusted/repaired? Just wonder if it had been in an accident previously.

The interior and engine bay look surprisingly clean. The rear looks like a C8.25, as my D35 didn't have that bottom lip.

As for that unplugged plug, could that be the sensor that tells you if your in 4WD or not on your dash?

Not trying to rain on your parade with my comments about the accident and stuff, just don't want you to get into something that may not be worth your while.

·
Registered
307 Posts
the rear is a chrysler 8.25

the sensor is the speedometer sensor, so you don't have a working speedometer right now. take a closer pic of the connector for me, and I'll see if I have the proper sensor for you.

-Pat

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That dip/dent in the roof along the framerail concerns me a bit. Did you check the framerails to make sure that they were in good shape, not bent, and/or rusted/repaired? Just wonder if it had been in an accident previously.

The interior and engine bay look surprisingly clean. The rear looks like a C8.25, as my D35 didn't have that bottom lip.

As for that unplugged plug, could that be the sensor that tells you if your in 4WD or not on your dash?

Not trying to rain on your parade with my comments about the accident and stuff, just don't want you to get into something that may not be worth your while.

a limb fell out of a tree right on the frame rail. the 4wd light works but my speedo dont so i think it is that.

·
Registered
307 Posts
that's not a frame rail, it's just an upper support.

no frame. they are unibody. the closest thing to the frame rail is on the bottom of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that's not a frame rail, it's just an upper support.

no frame. they are unibody. the closest thing to the frame rail is on the bottom of the vehicle.
I was talking about the roof rack rail thanks for catching that i have been makin mistake all nite

1 - 20 of 45 Posts