made this the other day

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
Not bad.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Dont use that towhook in that fashion. That bolt breaks and the hook becomes a projectile.

You can slip the strap loop into the hitch end and put the pin in holding the strap. Or pick up a receiver end for a d-ring. Both would be acceptable.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Dont use that towhook in that fashion. That bolt breaks and the hook becomes a projectile.

You can slip the strap loop into the hitch end and put the pin in holding the strap. Or pick up a receiver end for a d-ring. Both would be acceptable.
Quoted for emphasis...

During a recovery you will most likely shear that single bolt holding that hook on, it's actually a pretty dangerous setup what you have going there. It's also not even a Grade 8 bolt...:(

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
Agreed, Thats why we welded and made mine.

Quoted for emphasis...

During a recovery you will most likely shear that single bolt holding that hook on, it's actually a pretty dangerous setup what you have going there. It's also not even a Grade 8 bolt...:(

·
Budget Master
1,145 Posts
i cant see it beacuse some resson our school computer wont desplay it, il look at it when i get home.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
its actually welded now, and its a weird grade 9.7 bolt i got at tacoma screw.
mostly i just think it looks cool.
like a stinger on a hornet.
oh wait the 9 something grade was what they sold me for my tc drop i think. yea so i dont know the grade but its off a jeep leaf bolt.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
557 Posts
its since been welded

Still not good. You'd be better off to just slip a strap loop inside the receiver and insert the hitch pin.

A towhook bolted or even welded on that hitch will not pass tech inspection at any organized offroad event, because it's not done in a safe manner. Please dont use it like that dude. Same goes for your buddy with the ball hitch.

·
Budget Master
1,145 Posts
yep. and even when your being carefull people get hurt lol.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Those are words to live by, I have seen my fair share of recovery mishaps to know this to be true.
:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

people call me all the time for recovery.. i usually end up going and getting them and most of the time they have ZERO recovery points.. SO around the axle tube that strap goes and one or the others going to come out.. one being the axle, the other being the jeep hahaha..

one asshole was in a 03 F150.. stuck up to the doors.. factory tow hooks which was fine.. but all he had was a chain.. big no no in my book.. behold the chain broke.. came over the top of my jeep, bitch slapped my brand new windshield and freshly painted hood... kid didn't give me a cent.. i was PISSED..

So words of wisdom... if someone calls you needing a tug.. make sure they know that if any damage is inflicted apon your rig, that they're responsible for it.....

·
Registered
231 Posts
i used the warn hitch receiver with the D-ring, don't really trust harbor freight.

NEVER, skimp on and recovery rear, it WILL come back to haunt you

1 - 20 of 26 Posts