Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

i found a 1990 cherokee, 4x4, 4.0, leather, power everything.

i took a test drive today and when i shifted it into the 4wd and it was strong, but when i shifted back to 2wd it didnt go back to 2wd until a little down the road. when i shifted it i put it neutral, shifted into 4wd and shifted back into drive, i did the same to put it back in 2wd. its got 226k. it drove good, when i was driving it down the road i couldnt feel the shifts. the body will need paint, it has a little rust on the roof around the rack. the hood has the top right corner bent down toward the engine a little. the interior inst in bad shape. has 2 rips in the middle of the bottom part of the seat but other than that it seems decent. the price is set at $1000. my question is will it be worth it? also how do i tell between the 8.25 and dana rear?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
hey guys,

i found a 1990 cherokee, 4x4, 4.0, leather, power everything.

i took a test drive today and when i shifted it into the 4wd and it was strong, but when i shifted back to 2wd it didnt go back to 2wd until a little down the road. when i shifted it i put it neutral, shifted into 4wd and shifted back into drive, i did the same to put it back in 2wd. its got 226k. it drove good, when i was driving it down the road i couldnt feel the shifts. the body will need paint, it has a little rust on the roof around the rack. the hood has the top right corner bent down toward the engine a little. the interior inst in bad shape. has 2 rips in the middle of the bottom part of the seat but other than that it seems decent. the price is set at $1000. my question is will it be worth it? also how do i tell between the 8.25 and dana rear?

Thanks in advance
If it is a NP242 that is typical. You should be able to find a picture of a C8.25 online. Print it and compare it to the Jeep.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
The transfercase linkage may need some adjusting. At 226,000 miles, it could be various things like the linkage or maybe the chain is a bit loose. As for the other things, if they're purely cosmetic, then I wouldn't worry about it. You just want to focus on the mechical aspects of the Jeep. I think that the $1000 is a decent deal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well thanks guys, i think around tomoro i'll be the proud owner of a cherokee 4x4!!!!!

and an avid contributor to this forum.

thanks guys..

i'm really excited.. hahaha :rock:

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
well thanks guys, i think around tomoro i'll be the proud owner of a cherokee 4x4!!!!!

and an avid contributor to this forum.

thanks guys..

i'm really excited.. hahaha :rock:
Well Im glad we will be seeing more of you around. Be sure to provide pictures.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yea, use the milage, and difficult use of the ability to shift into 4WD when you decide to make the buy. These seem to be your bargaining chips to beat them down on the price, along with the rust appearance.

Good luck with the shift issue if you take it. I am not sure what the collective Jeep drivers are referenced as, but personally, I have taken to becoming one of whatever they are, and am hooked!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Yea, use the milage, and difficult use of the ability to shift into 4WD when you decide to make the buy. These seem to be your bargaining chips to beat them down on the price, along with the rust appearance.

Good luck with the shift issue if you take it. I am not sure what the collective Jeep drivers are referenced as, but personally, I have taken to becoming one of whatever they are, and am hooked!
This thread is almost 3 years old!! :rofl:

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Awesome BumP!!!
:animlol:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Too busy reading the thread to key in on the date...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts