Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I PB Blasted my Exhaust Bolt's prior to replacing my Header for fear of breaking them off. I was planning on replacing them with new one's after i got it torn down, but i couldn't find the right bolt's!

I broke a bolt off during the torque sequence!!!

The Bolt's that i pulled out are 3/8"X1 1/4", but i could only find Grade(8) 3/8"X1" and 3/8"X1 1/2", 16 tpi bolt's at the hardware store. 1" seems to short and 1 1/2" seems to long.

I've been searching online for Header Bolts but coming up with nothing yet...

I've got to get my daily driver to work on Monday,
any suggestions?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Use SAE5 instead of SAE8.

If the 1-1/2" screws bottom out in the holes (you tighten them down and can still spin that dish-shaped washer under the head - make sure to reuse that washer!) make up the difference using flat washers. Place the flat washers between the head of the screw and the dish-shaped washer.

I find it odd that you can't find 3/8"-16x1-1/4" - they're quite common around here (I can pick them up with hex heads in SAE2, SAE5, and SAE8, hex socket heads, brass pan heads, brass flat heads, CRES pan heads, CRES hex heads, ... with little to no effort.)

Why do I say to use SAE5? After about three months, the SAE5 screws will be stronger than the SAE8 screws will - the SAE8 screws are more sensitive to heat-cycling and annealing than the SAE5s, and lose a greater percentage of original strength and hardness with each cycle! Given free choice, I will typically use silicon bronze screws instead (copper alloys get incrementally stronger with heat cycles, and won't seize against iron.) If you're in a hurry, use SAE5 with LocTite #272 or equivalent. Else, use silicon bronze with true Belleville spring washers.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Get the longer ones put a nut on them up to the head and cut off how much you need. Screw off the nut on the thread and it will thread where you cut off.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Get the longer ones put a nut on them up to the head and cut off how much you need. Screw off the nut on the thread and it will thread where you cut off.
Whatever grade of hardware you're using (and modifying,) use an SAE8 for a thread former. It will last longer, and give a better thread on the last one...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts