Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, I need some help...I've been on this one all day and am still stumped. The vehicle is a 2001 4WD XJ, stock suspension, brand new track bar. The alignment in the rear is off. Here is the situation. The thrust angle currently is +0.6 degrees. Specification is -0.2 to +0.2 degrees. Left rear toe is +.75 degrees and the right rear toe is -.45 degrees. Basically looking like /----------/ . Now we all know that it is a solid rear axle and solid rear axle shafts, with no toe adjustment. With that in mind...what could cause this? Bent axle housing? All leaf spring bushings look good and intact. With the suspension loaded on the drive on rack, when I look up at the differential from underneath, i can physically see that it is off...Any suggestions? The pinion on the differential is pointing slightly to the passanger side. This thing has been pissing me off all day... :brickwall::brickwall:

·
Budget Master
1,145 Posts
i have no freaking clue dude....

·
Registered
557 Posts
Broken leafspring centerpin allowing the axle to slide back/forward. Or the centerpin missed the indent on perch.

That'd be my immediate guess....

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Broken leafspring centerpin allowing the axle to slide back/forward. Or the centerpin missed the indent on perch.

If thats the case wouldnt you lose the rear axle while driving?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

That's what I thought initially, but further inspection revealed both center pins still intact and both sitting in the center hole on the perch...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hmmm...

With the /-----/ and pinion pointing to pass side and the toe numbers you posted it sounds as if the axle is straight, just not square with the body.

Bent or broken leafspring? Spring or shackle mount damaged?

Is this the first time you checked this alignment?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The alignment was initially done in December at our shop, but not by me. I pulled that alignment up on the computer and the thrust angle was off then, but apparantly not addressed. I didn't want to let it roll like that and opened up a whole new can of worms.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE: Well when I came in this morning, running short on ideas...I decided to swap the left spring to the right, and right spring to the left. My thrust angle came in .3 degrees. So now the thrust angle is only +0.3 degrees, rear toe is now at +0.45 and -0.20 degrees left/right. Not quite where I want it, but if it was yours, would that be acceptable? Or should I dig further into it? Thanks everyone...

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
UPDATE: Well when I came in this morning, running short on ideas...I decided to swap the left spring to the right, and right spring to the left. My thrust angle came in .3 degrees. So now the thrust angle is only +0.3 degrees, rear toe is now at +0.45 and -0.20 degrees left/right. Not quite where I want it, but if it was yours, would that be acceptable? Or should I dig further into it? Thanks everyone...
How do you think this happened?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have no idea, unless one of the springs if flatter than the other one under load, but I measured them side by side when off the XJ and they looked identical length wise. I have no idea.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I have no idea, unless one of the springs if flatter than the other one under load, but I measured them side by side when off the XJ and they looked identical length wise. I have no idea.
Well I was thinking about checking mine, but I think I'll leave well enough alone! :rofl:

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Hmm, what you did by swapping the springs kind of makes sense.

When you accelerate, your Jeep typically will squat to the passenger side, so the pass-side leaf spring takes more "repeated" abuse than the driver-side does. By swapping them you're "evening" out this abuse by giving one spring a break and letting the other one do the work.

Also, if you carry more weight on one side of the cargo area than the other could've caused one leaf spring to go bad faster than the other.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts