Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a cherokee 1992 the ad says. I kow that at the price it will not last long. it is in realy nice shape for the year.
My question is that when the seller sent me pic's of the jeep he included one of under the hood.
Would this type of cooling system come in a 92. It looks like 90 and older to me. could this jeep be older then what he thinks? even the fuel system looks like the 90 and older system.
any help would be great. thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
That is definitely the underhood of a 91-95 XJ. My 91 looks exactly the same. If this was the older style cooling system, there would be no cap on radiator or the coolant temp. sensor on the waterneck.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ok it just did not look right to me and then I saw the pic of the inside and it has the 242 tcase. I did not think that they came in any jeep after 90.

So this has 215,000klm on it,TILT STEERING,, CRUISE CONTROL AND REAR WIPER WITH DEFROST.. ALL WORK, AC WORKS,, NEW BRAKES FRONT AND REAR.. 4X4 WORKS.. POWER STEERING,WINDOW AND DOOR LOCKS..AUTOMATIC..4 DOOR.. LADY DRIVEN,,OIL CHAANGED EVERY 5,000..
does it look like is is worth the $650 bucks he wants for it?

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
It looks like it needs a lot of cleaning and TLC but, if it runs good $650 is a pretty good deal. I gave $2600 for my 91, 4 years ago but it was immaculate in and out and it runs and drives perfect. I'd buy it for that the way it is.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks buck. around here they use so much salt on the roads that all the mj's and xj's are rusted all over.
I have had a few but to be truthfull have never paid that much for one. I have a 91 and am in the works to buy a 91 with 4" lift 33's and winch. but this one is in realy nice shape and is a one owner lady driven and they say oil and serviced every 5000kl. its about 15hr drive away from me but would be worth it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Taz, where exactly is NB in Canada? I live in the northwestern corner Washington state so, I am like 60 miles from Vancouver BC.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Underhood looks exactly like my '92...well, except for the red firewall...
It's got a nice hitch. I love the interior, esp. the cupholders...
Take a look at my white one in my albums, I got that for $500 and it's not as nice as that one...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Crawl underneath and check the floorpans,rockers and "frame" and inside the wheelwells for rust.Good price if it checks out.My .02 worth.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Taz, where exactly is NB in Canada? I live in the northwestern corner Washington state so, I am like 60 miles from Vancouver BC.
Its in Ontario a bit of a drive for you but thanks. Nb is on the east side of Canada your like 5600 klm away and about 4000 away from the Jeep.
I emailed my bro. he took the 220klm about 150 miles to where the jeep was from his place for me. looked at it and said it is worth every penny. you have to understand I am like 1500 klm about 900 miles away from this jeep. worth the trip to go pick it up from my bro's house and a reason for a road trip to say hi. he build side cars for bikes and we always do something when I visit.
anyway he goes to the bank to get the money I sent him. gets back to the jeep and sees it going down the road. the guy said someone showed up with the cash wial you were gone. aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. her is a pic of the underneath.
My bro said no holes and the rest looked just like the pic. oh well good thing they built lots. I will find a good one someday.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Underhood looks exactly like my '92...well, except for the red firewall...
It's got a nice hitch. I love the interior, esp. the cupholders...
Take a look at my white one in my albums, I got that for $500 and it's not as nice as that one...
I here ya I paid 500 for my 91. had to do the floor front to back rockers breaks all around ujoints replace a spring in the front. and the list went on.
I did find some nice 4 1/2 by 2" angle iron for the rockers. worked out realy nice. now if I only had heat in the garage so I could put the body fill on them. lol
and then work on the MJs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Going to look at this tomorrow. not as nice but has 33's lift and a winch. its a 91. and a 92 that has a 6: skyjacker lift 33's but the rearend is blow out of it. might be a good place for one of the d44's to live.
thanks for all the help guys.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Id' buy the red one ;)

I try to avoid buying lifted vehicles because lifted most of the time means it's been abused and you don't know anything about what it's been put through. It's a risk of getting a badly beaten/abused rig, even if it looks pretty on the outside, it could have cracks underneath, hidden where you can't see them without crawling under there and doing a 30 minute inspection.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well the red one is gone as I stated in my post. as far as lifted jeep I know one of them and the other the guy wheels with a good friend of mine. as far as inspection. I can do that in about 15 minutes and do it all the time.
I do not mind buying a lifted jeep as I know it was put through more then I will do to it no matter how gental someone drove it.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
well the red one is gone as I stated in my post. as far as lifted jeep I know one of them and the other the guy wheels with a good friend of mine. as far as inspection. I can do that in about 15 minutes and do it all the time.
I do not mind buying a lifted jeep as I know it was put through more then I will do to it no matter how gental someone drove it.
Oops, missed that bit of info up there. Gonna start re-reading posts.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I here ya I paid 500 for my 91. had to do the floor front to back rockers breaks all around ujoints replace a spring in the front. and the list went on.
I did find some nice 4 1/2 by 2" angle iron for the rockers. worked out realy nice. now if I only had heat in the garage so I could put the body fill on them. lol and then work on the MJs.
I need to do rockers on both sides and quarters on both sides also, other than that it has bubbled spots that I have to tackle, but those can wait...

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will take a pic or 2 of the rockers I did it worked out real nice with the angle iron. It fit just the way I wanted. under the door at the lip and into the seem under the floor.
not finished but I tell ya its just stock with 30's on it and if I hit a stump or rock they just glide over it. the 2 pices cost me 5 bucks at a scrap yard.

·
Registered
608 Posts
$5 each? Now that's the kind of rocker panel I can get into...

<~~ That's a Cheap Bastard in the hat over there... :rofl:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts