Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking for a set of 3.73 R&P for my chrysler 8.25. or a front and rear set of 4.10 R&P. can't spend a whole lot so a used set would be nice.

my xj is an '01 with the D30. will the 3.73 gear set in my '89 xj D30 work in my '01? if not, i'll take a full front and rear set of 3.73 as well.

i prefer a 3.73. will help my mpg on highways and still give me ok power on hill climbs.

i have 3.55 now and it's just a little under powered and dogs down a bit on hills. the auto tranny helps with the off road rock piles. but lower gear would be nice.

·
Registered
81 Posts
couple small suggestions. if your on anything bigger than 30's go with 4.10's.
also the price of regearing your axles is gonna be pretty high. figure anywhere between 500-1000 PER AXLE. I am in the same boat your in except I am on stock 3.07's but instead of regearing my axles I have determined overall it will be cheaper and stronger in the long run to go with a swapped in junkyard 8.8 with 4.10's and a junkyard D30 with the same ratio.
the ring and pinion from your other jeep WILL NOT work because you 01 is a low pinion D30 and the other is a high pinion D30. if your set on 3.73 the cheapest way to do it would be to swap the entire AXLE, housing and all from the 89 into your 01. if it is a vacuum disco axle take the axle shafts out of your 01 axle and re-use them in the 89's housing.

I am figuring on approx 500-750 bux to swap in an 8.8 AND buy a used D30 w/ 4.10's and most of that price will be tied up in the d30. my local pull-a-part sells 8.8's for 125 out the door and it should cost about 2-300 bux to swap into my XJ, bonus is I get rear disc brakes and decent factory LSD unlike the factory trac loc's in the 8.25. until of course I can afford to get a good locker for said 8.8

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a friend who will install the gears for free. so it's just the cost of gears. it is a disco axle on the 89, so the swap can happen. the gears are 175 i found for new ones. it see's more street. i'll have my 89 i'm building for off road in the spring. i hope it's done by then. maybe early summer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts