Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am aware that "most" 4.0L/AW4 Cherokee's have 3.55 gears. Question I have is, I have found a '96 with that drivetrain but it is a "Country" not a Sport. Did the Country have a different setup? I've read that the "Up Country" had stiffer/taller springs,:confused: but never heard anything about a Country. Is it just a trim level?

I'm planning on pulling the axle out of it tomorrow, so please chime in here asap!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Realistically just another trim package for Chrysler to sell more XJ's to soccer moms who wanted to think they are really special....

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
The "Country" was a trim level like "Sport" or "Limited". Essentially it may have a few more bells and whistles (possibly an over-head console, power everything, maybe-just maybe full leather interior, different seats, etc.). Otherwise you're getting the same drivetrain, and basically same XJ.

The "Up Country" was a package that could be had on any trim level XJ, except for the SE (but correct that if it's wrong). That included an additional inch or 1.5" of lift, skids, and tow hooks front and rear - I think.

I personally liked the Country's alot.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I pulled the axle out this morning with the help of my son, and his buddy. The cover was off the diff but I did find the tag laying on the ground and it says it has 3.55 gears.

So I'm doing a quick clean up with a wire brush, and wiping it down to remove the Blaster we used and giving it a coat of black paint. I also flushed the diff out with a can of carb cleaner, and boltd a cover on it. I filled it with plain dino oil lube to "test" it on when I drive it, and will switch to synthetic if nothing is wrong..I hope. We might try to bolt it up next weekend as it is supposed to get COLD here tomorrow. It WAS over 50* here today.

BTW, do the HP axles require the same amount of lube as the LP axle? Asking since the pinion gear is higher up.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You referring to oil inside the diff itself?
Yes, I just put in some Coastal "brand" differential lube 80/90 weight I got at AutoZone for now. It carried a GL-5 spec, so I should be ok. I plan on driving it without the front DS for a few miles to make sure everything is ok. I'd hate for something in it to lock up and destroy the TC or something. After I know the diff is ok, I will switch it out to Mobil1 75/90.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IDK If it holds more or less, just fill until it overfills just a bit in the filler hole and you will be set. I believe it holds just over 2 quarts (maybe 2.2).
If the HP axle holds 2 or 2.2 qts. then it does take more than a LP axle. The LP holds about 1.5 qts. The cover I put on it was the stock cover off my LP axle and I need to know if a HP cover has the fill hole higher up than the LP cover. I will say the cover I put on has the fill hole right about level with the bottom of the axle tubes which seems to make sense. Any more lube and it might leak past the axle seals.:confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts