Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you put the older style flares on the newer 00-01 xj's? I hate my painted flares.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yes. Bolt pattern is identical.

You'll need to do some trimming of the extra material as the 97+ doesnt come all the way around wheelwell. You'll see.

I used to run 97+ on my 94... opposite of what your doing.

And you can use nuts/bolts with the older flares.. no more nutstrips.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I wonder if there's anyone who did this so i could get a hint at what mine would look like.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
For some reason my flares are painted TO the body. If i press on the flares, the paint cracks apart on the body cuz it's attached to the flare. I thought they would paint the body first, then the flare, and then attach the flare to the body but it seems they put the flare on first and then painted both?

and its' just too pretty. :thumbdown: I like the older style flares.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
It sounds almost as if there was body work done to the XJ at some point. My flares were not at all painted to the body, an in fact, the flares were definately painted separately from the body because when I took them off there were no obvious signs that they were in any way sprayed together.

Could you take a really thin blade and cut the paint so as to separate the flare from the body? Also, if you pull your flares off to replace them with old XJ flares, wouldn't you be pulling the paint off the body as well from what you say?

·
Registered
444 Posts
:agree::agree::agree::agree::agree:

alot of body shops cut corners like that.. from then factory they do paint them separately. my XJ had had some work done to it prior to my buying it and i didnt find out till i pulled the flare off.. they had masked off the flare and painted the fender so under the flare was red and everything else was black.. way to halfass for my eyes.. i cut it all off anyways lol

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah that's what I was thinking. I know the jeep was in a collision before because the hood is painted differently. Same color and all but you can tell but the surface texture that it's different. It also has a brand new radiator and some new bolts around the front of the radiator. Now i'm kinda afraid of taking them off in fear there's no paint behind the flares.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Two ways of looking at it:

1.) It'll be a good thing to remove the flares and make sure that there is paint under them to ensure that the fenders don't prematurely rust out. Be very careful pulling them off, and like I said, use a thin blade to split the paint from the flare if you see that it's one plane. If you see there is no paint there, then at a minimum tape everything off and hit it with some primer and some paint.

2.) If there is paint under them then you have peace of mind. Once the flares are off then you can do whatever you want. Put back the original flares, swap in other flares, go flareless.......

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Two ways of looking at it:

1.) It'll be a good thing to remove the flares and make sure that there is paint under them to ensure that the fenders don't prematurely rust out. Be very careful pulling them off, and like I said, use a thin blade to split the paint from the flare if you see that it's one plane. If you see there is no paint there, then at a minimum tape everything off and hit it with some primer and some paint.

2.) If there is paint under them then you have peace of mind. Once the flares are off then you can do whatever you want. Put back the original flares, swap in other flares, go flareless.......
If i didn't live in PA, i'd go flareless.

I'll check it out when i get it in the garage next week.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I'll check it out when i get it in the garage next week.
Yep, I feel your pain. Here in Jersey our tires need to be fully covered as well, luckily in my town the cops don't bother us all that much about it, but other towns do. It sucks.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, I feel your pain. Here in Jersey our tires need to be fully covered as well, luckily in my town the cops don't bother us all that much about it, but other towns do. It sucks.
Yeah the cops here never bothered with my tj which had tires sticking out 3" but since this rig's going to the lady i want it to be as legal as possible so she don't get pulled over by a cop having a bad day. The police station is 1 mile down the road. :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts