Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah just notice that on most of the vids, it said "cherokee (liberty)" all the time

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I think that the Cherokee was too much of a legend to have carried it on with something that could never live up to its preceding reputation (the Liberty). There aren't many vehicles that go for as long as the XJ did with just a "minor" face lift.

I do think that the Liberty is a good SUV, but its capabilities could never compare to the the XJ's without some serious modification, and for that reason, I think that it was a good idea that the Cherokee name plate was discontinued at the end of XJ production.

·
Banned
851 Posts
and there is no solid front axle. Nor will there ever be. I heard from Jeep engineers that when the JK(Wrangler) get's redesigned in 6-8 years the solid front axle is most likely gone and so might be the solid rear axle..

We're watching the end to our great Jeep brand..

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
and there is no solid front axle. Nor will there ever be. I heard from Jeep engineers that when the JK(Wrangler) get's redesigned in 6-8 years the solid front axle is most likely gone and so might be the solid rear axle..

We're watching the end to our great Jeep brand..
Which is exactly why I am keeping my XJ for a long time.

·
Registered
642 Posts
The diesel would be cool though....

But with 2.8 millions XJ's made, there will always be parts to fix mine when I break it :p

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hmm... when the Cherokee was first introduced, Jeep was almost bankrupt. Cherokee sales almost single-handedly brought the company out of the red. That was when Jeep was innovative & made original styled & functional vehicles. IIRC, no other Chrysler vehicle made the list in the top 20 most influential automobiles of the 20th Century. Yes, not the fabulous Wrangler, not the "mighty" CJ ... but the Cherokee. They set the standard with the Cherokee & never looked back. Well ... until now. If Jeep once again took charge and became innovators instead of followers, they might be in a better position. I'm thinking a "new Cherokee" (not that Libby crap) would go a long way towards salvaging what's left of DC. After all, there goes Dodge bringing back the Charger, Ford the Thunderbird & so on.
Why not the Cherokee? They owe it to the immortal XJ.

·
Banned
851 Posts
The problem is, when AMC had Jeep they put people that used a Jeep like it was ment to be used. With Chrysler running it you have people that won't go down a dirt road, much less go four wheeling..

It's sad to say but unless someone like Ranalt buys Jeep, we're seeing all new Jeeps go the way of the EB's and Land Cruisers and the Dinosaurs..

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
We won't be seeing a redesigned Cherokee anytime soon. In the last sit-down with the Jeep Production Team, my proposal for a new Cherokee platform was well-founded with other Jeep enthusiasts, but the Production Team didn't seem to think any such plans would ever get off the ground in the foreseeable future. At least I tried, right? :confused:

And what we call the Liberty, the rest of the world calls the Cherokee. After 9/11/01, when the Cherokee was finally scrapped, the new IFS model was renamed the Liberty, for obvious reasons. The word "liberty" and its timely use doesn't carry the same amount of weight elsewhere in the world, thus the Cherokee badge remains.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts