Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I got convinced to pick up a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport that may or may not have been abused. it has 200K miles on it, a "new" trans, and transfer case (as I was told) the front driveshaft is in the back seat with a bad CV joint, worn out rear tires, which I couldn't get the lug nuts off, and needs front brakes (so it sounds) Minimal rust, floors look great, frame looks great, just some missing rocker areas. Paid less the 1,000 bucks and my kid drove it for 2 months, now the battery is bad and he got his other vehicle back, so I guess I have a jeep to fix up and do something with.

First thing is to get it to my place, which is about 50 some miles and see what the battery problem is, probably just a bad battery I hope. Then comes the tires/lug nuts... I am guessing they may end up breaking off and being replaced. Open to hints on this. The nuts are the chrome covered ones so I don't think I can spray penetrating oil on them. Maybe previous owner got a little crazy with the air wrench. Looks like a 19mm socket fits them (with the chrome covers) and one is missing the cover. I could use the 'Fire wrench' but I'd hate to mess up the rims.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Hello and welcome. Where are you from?
Post some pics if you get a chance.
The battery may be more of a corrosion issue than anything else. These Cherokees are known for having poor wiring. Nothing that can't be fixed relatively easy though. Start with cleaning the cables and terminals. Then pull the grounds off the engine, fender and firewall and clean them. This will eliminate them as a issue. Check the positive connection from the battery to the alternator. Some of them have a fused link and can be bad. Load test the alternator and battery and that should take care of those.
XJ's are awesome little rigs straight from the factory. They can be a lot of fun and very dependable. And pretty inexpensive to maintain.
What tranny and t-case do you have? You can buy the kit to rebuild the driveshaft yourself, pick one up from a junk yard (pick a part's are a treasure trove) or order a new one from places such as Tom Woods or Adams.
Lug nuts with the chrome caps suck! Period. I replaced all mine with solid nuts. I bought a set of half size lug nut sockets off my Cornwell dealer. They come in mighty handy when the covers come off. You can try to hammer and socket onto the lug nut and see if that works.
Harbor freight sells a set of sockets for locking nuts, it's just a socket with flutes that bite onto the lug nut,which may work also. It ruins the nut but at least it will be off. Check out my signature for some excellent info on our Jeep Cherokee XJ's. You'll not be disappointed! :)

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
Welcome to the forum. On those lug nuts, the chrome covering will probably get destroyed getting them off. If that happens, what is underneath fits a 3/4" socket

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the words! I think I will try to get it home, maybe a jump start and pray the tire holds up. I have a vintage electric impact that we used on or 1969 dodge motorhome. it may have some extra power to get them off, or break them and will replace the studs. Good to know about the 3/4 size underneath

Wiring is really a pain, but I am on my 3rd Land Rover so I am used to bad grounds and broken connectors that look fine.

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
Landys have positive earth, XJs negative ground :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
automatic trans and a select trac transfer case... shifter for transfer case says 2wd, 4wd part time, 4wd full time, neutral, 4wd low. Youtube says green is for roads, yellow for off-road. ( easy to remember.) right now it is in 2wd since the front driveshaft is in the back seat. Has the straight 6 motor too. Lots of switches and buttons, cruise (works) and a fancy radio that I haven't tried yet. Gonna take some playing around with I guess...

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Transmission is aw4 , t case is an NP242. 4 part-time is for off-road on slippery, not paved or concrete roads. 4 full-time can be used anywhere such as pavement or concrete roads. 4 lo is strictly off road. If you put it in 4lo and drive on hard surfaces, you gonna break something. I have the same system in my 96.
The 4 part time light should be red and the full time should be green. The 242 has a built in locker between the front and rear driveshafts. On full time it acts more like an open diff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sounds like my Rover,it has 4hi, 4lo, and a lock on each. locks center differential and all 4 wheels have power. it can climb trees in lo gear. have to do some comparing when I get the Jeep in shape. Land Rover has the v8 4.0 jag motor (aluminum)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts