Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now one my 9th XJ. Currently I have a 2000 and just bought a 1998.
My 1998 is having the dreaded p1694 code with crank no start condition. No fuel pressure, no spark. I checked the 3 main grounds and cleaned for good measure. No lick. I disconnected the CPS to see if my gauges return, they did not. I got a new one anyway and replaced it. No luck. I swaped the new one to the 2000 and it runs fine. The 1998 remains in no start condition. I swaped the TCMs... no luck. I also checked the 5v sensors on the manifold. Can anyone think of something I might be missing before I send the PCM for repair or try my "test" PCM to TCM harness?

·
Super Moderator
10,522 Posts
Have you changed the cam sensor in the dizzy? in my 96 it took out my gauges and my OBD port. Unplugged, my gauges came back and I could read codes. Plugged in neither work. It's an easy test, just unplug it and see if the gauges work.

·
Premium Member
9,294 Posts
How about the ASD relay. A non functioning relay could give all those symptoms

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah yes. I forgot to mention that I also swapped the relay with several other including the starter relay. No luck there.
Good catch and thank you for the idea.

·
Premium Member
9,294 Posts
OK, now you need to verify current to the 85&86 pins as well as current to the #30 pin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had to charge the battery. I unpluged the Cam Pos sensor, no gauges. Pluged back in, no start.
I checked the CPS and came up with this...
.54 with the key in on position and .26 with key out. Am I reading this wrong?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also check pin 3 in the TCM bus with terminal 86 for continuity and was able to confirm connection.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well... I contacted my XJ club and will be getting a known good PCM for the 1998. I'll keep you posted on the results.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After re reviewing my information I realize that my issue is the 5v reference circuit not necessarily the PCM. I will trace both 5v circuits from PCM and double check harnesses for shorts.

·
Premium Member
9,294 Posts
Glad you did this instead of just throwing parts at it. Let us know what your 5V circuits are like

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All I did was pull back the sheathing and found some bare wires...
I found a harness in great condition from a 1997. I hope its the same.

·
Super Moderator
10,522 Posts
Holy linoleum Batman. It never ceases to amaze me the crap some people do.
97 to 98, you stand a good chance of them matching. I Think 99 was the changeover year.

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
When it all goes to hell, start stripping. Seems to work in most life situations. :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No start condition remains.
Well... the harness was not the same. The connection to the coil is different.
I made to call to cut and replace the wires upto the transmission dip stick, swapping the connector for the original after I cleaned it up and pinned new wires.
Interesting thing is that I am showing a ground in the Throttle PS and another sensor with PCM cables A and B (Black and White) disconnected. When C is disconnected they lose ground.

Im still reading .17 volts in the off position and .43 in the ignition on position. Im sure there is a short. My gut tells me to open the harness from connectors A and B and follow them to the sensors to have full visibility on the condition of the wires.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And my puncture probes came in. So I will be able to test to make sure the PCM is sending 5v through each od the black and white (A,B) connectors as well as limit the about of stripping I have to do!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts