Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to "tear 'er down" to replace my Header and Motor Mounts. I am also considering replacing my Pan Gasket and Rear Seal as well, since i'll be that far into it anyway!

What does everyone think about replacing the Oil Pump too???

Would a new Stock or High Volume Pump actually do damage to a tiring Motor?
Would i just end-up springing leaks everywhere in the engine compartment?

If you all do give me the green light on this, would it be any easier to do all this when i swap-out Axles during my 4WD Conversion, later in the spring?

Undecided... :unsure:

:pop:

·
Registered
953 Posts
If you're gonna change your remain seal then you might as well replace the oil pump while you're at it. That's what I did when I changed my rear seal. No sense in tearing it all apart again when it does go out.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Left mine in at 217k last week. The reason I did is I have replaced certain things like that in the past and they go out on me. Sounds weird but OEM shit always seems to last longer and more reliable in the end. Sensors, fuel pump and so on. I wouldnt mess with it unless you have low oil pressure.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Left mine in at 217k last week. The reason I did is I have replaced certain things like that in the past and they go out on me. Sounds weird but OEM shit always seems to last longer and more reliable in the end. Sensors, fuel pump and so on. I wouldnt mess with it unless you have low oil pressure.
:agree::agree::agree::agree:

I've got 325K on mine, still packing plenty of oil pressure (10W40 dino squeezings) and I replaced only the rear main seal while I had her apart last year.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it till it is. (Yes, there can be two meanings to that phrase.)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
LMAO 325k holy shit lol. Looks like I got a long ways to go.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
LMAO 325k holy shit lol. Looks like I got a long ways to go.
AMC designed a tough engine in the 232-258- 4.0 engine, though I'd rather they had kept the 258 bore/stroke layout. :boogie:

I plan to do a rebuild on my next year or swap in a rebuilt ... or I've been toying with a Mopar engine / auto trans swap to get rid of the BA10/5 trans and the Renix fuel injection which seems to be failure prone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts