Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys. im new to olfer jeeps. i bought and am picking up a 1995 jeep cherokee 4 door. it has the 4.0 L6. it is a 4X4, wouldnt have it any other way. its got about 118,000 miles. i was a test driver at Chrystler proving grounds, and have driven jeeps from the 09's to ones that "don't exist", but i have no experiance with older jeeps. i live in central vermont, and this will be my daily driver. what mods do you all recomend? thanks for the help guys.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Welcome! Are you buying a Cherokee or a Grand Cherokee?

There are a ton of mods you can do, it really all depends on what your budget is, what you want to do with your rig, and if the rig will need any initial maintenance upon purchasing it.

What type of stuff are you into? Are you looking to go wheeling or just have a rig with a nicer appearance?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a cherokee, not a grand. melissa, i said older not old. jeeps, like women, age like fine wine. :) as for the jeep. it will stay on the street, maybe light off roading. BUT i dont ever want to get stuck. i want a more agressive look to it, so im thinking safari roof rack, brush guard, and the bolt on looking fender flairs. its already sitting on wider aggressive tires.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
its a cherokee, not a grand. melissa, i said older not old. jeeps, like women, age like fine wine. :) as for the jeep. it will stay on the street, maybe light off roading. BUT i dont ever want to get stuck. i want a more agressive look to it, so im thinking safari roof rack, brush guard, and the bolt on looking fender flairs. its already sitting on wider aggressive tires.
;);)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, my profile pic is the jeep. as is. i dont have any better pictures yet, i pick it up this sunday

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Nice looking heep for a more mean look go with a 3 inch lift and 30's or 31's it will look mean.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
I would just do a 2" budget boost and put 31s on there. Bushwackers would look sick but they will probably dwarf 31s, lol. A roof rack would look nice :thumbsup: I would also tint the windows.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
window tint is a must. i dont know if it is already lifted or not, nor do i know of what size tires are on it.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
car seats fit good in them, if you keep it on the street then an AT tire would probably be better for ya

im a little jealous of your job, you said you test out the new jeeps on their proving ground?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Based on the photo in your profile, if I had to guess I'd say the PO installed an inexpensive ~4" lift that used an add-a-leaf in the rear that's subsequently sagged out.

Since you've still got the stock flares on, the measurement from the center of the wheel hub to the bottom of the flares on a stock height XJ should be 17.5" front, and 17" rear. Based on that you should be able to measure your rig and see how much lift it's got on it.

Those "bolt on" looking flares are by Bushwacker, and unless you're planning 33s they're going to look really oversized on your Jeep. Even with 33s the flares will dwarf the tires. Here's a really old photo of my Jeep (also a '95) with about 6" of lift, 33" tires (pretty worn though) and Bushwacker flares.

You mentioned not ever wanting to get stuck... that's going to involve a lot more than you'd mentioned doing -- primarily a winch and lockers/front rear. For light offroading though, a set of decent tires, disconnecting the front swaybar, airing down the tires, and most importantly having another vehicle along with you, will get you extremely far.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes, i worked at the proving grounds in chelsea michigan up until about a month ago. mass layoffs. ive driven jeeps that Chrysler can take me to court over if i told you guys. lets just say, CJ pickup.

·
Registered
600 Posts
yes, i worked at the proving grounds in chelsea michigan up until about a month ago. mass layoffs. ive driven jeeps that Chrysler can take me to court over if i told you guys. lets just say, CJ pickup.
Wow that would be siick! kinda like a scrambler with a truck bed?

Sucks about being layed off though man.

·
Registered
378 Posts
type new jeep pickup into google images. its tan. someone leaked some pictures.
they're not leaked, Jeep showed off the concept vehicle all over the place. And it's not going into product unfortunately. It's really just a 4-dr JK with a halfcab, basically. Well, really it's a regular JK Unlimited chassis with a J8 body tub and a halfcab on it. The J8 has already started production... in Egypt.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
yep all kinds of threads about that egypt jeep on here and other fourms.... I actualy emaild a a friend that teaches at a university over their to get me some info on how much I might get her to bring one over for me....
SO I am thinking you can spill you guts on what you know from your old job as someone here has probably already seen read or knows about it and you cant get in trouble for saying anything... you have to remeber we are jeepers..lol
Welcome to the club

1 - 20 of 34 Posts