Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 90 cherokee. I want to lift it no more than 4 inch to start since its my first lifted jeep. I don't know who to ask or what questions really. I talked to someone who said rubicon .. I saw the rubicon express 3.5 superflex with leaf springs.. but I still don't know what i am looking at please help

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
that is a good hell really nice lift if you have the cash.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Its okay.... we all started somewhere....

Rubicon Express makes a GREAT lift. Very complete and no shortcuts like some other less expensive lifts.

But 3" is where lifts go from being a cheap and fairly easy affair to somewhat more complicated and expensive.

Start slowly and please ask as many questions as you need.

From reading your blog entry....

A 31x10.50 tire will fit VERY nicely on a Jeep with a 3.5" lift. The Jeep in my avatar has a 3.5" lift and 33x12.5" tires... but the fenders are trimmed quite a bit...

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Problem is after a while everyone wants to go higher. :rofl:

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
You may want to start by asking yourself what your "budget" is. I use the term loosely because you can/will always have a certain number in mind, but builds always tend to surpass that initial estimate. Best thing to do is figure out what budget you want to stay within, and then research lifts, tires, rims, SYE's, etc that fall within that amount.

Like Whowey said, the RE lifts are great, and you can't really go wrong with them. 3.5" is a good place to start, and having an older XJ you may not run into driveline vibrations, which means that you may not have to spend money on an SYE and driveshaft.

3.5" lift should clear 31" tires without any issue. The Superflex - like you mentioned in your blog - is the way to go for wheeling.

There are other manufacturers out there also, such as Rough Country, Rustys, Old Man Emu, BDS, etc etc. I would personally stay away from Add-A-Leafs (AAL) because if your current leafpacks are in poor shape the AAL won't do all that much for you, nor will they last a long time. Lift blocks aren't the best thing to use to gain lift because they bring problems with them as well like axle wrap, increased wear on the springs.

Good luck in your search, you've found a good place!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thats exactly what i did!!! the jeep i have now is my first jeep... the first lift it had was a 4.5" RC kit i got off ebay for like $660 bucks i think it was.. but then that turned into a 4.5" kit with 2" pucks and blocks then 3" pucks and blocks now its 9" with 9" coils and custom leaf springs and some blocks with revolver shackles..

I would start at 6.5" if you want to do any serious wheelin.. =)

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Thats exactly what i did!!! the jeep i have now is my first jeep... the first lift it had was a 4.5" RC kit i got off ebay for like $660 bucks i think it was.. but then that turned into a 4.5" kit with 2" pucks and blocks then 3" pucks and blocks now its 9" with 9" coils and custom leaf springs and some blocks with revolver shackles..

I heard blocks are bad for leaf wrap, any issues with the drive shaft falling out, or breaking u-joints?

·
Registered
444 Posts
well i have a custom leaf pack that i put together and i have ZERO wrap..
I used the XJ 4.5" main and 2nd leafs and front wagee 3rd, 4th, and 5th leafs then added an over load leaf out of late model s10 pickup..

I run that and a 3" block and the pinion wraps up maybe an inch then stays there under any, heavy or light load..

as for the driveshaft pulling out.. like i said im at 9" of lift.. that slip yoke is LONG GONE.. i now have an advanced adapters SYE kit

·
Registered
444 Posts
but yes.. in our case blocks will destroy a small leaf pack like on an XJ.. on a big 3/4 or 1 ton pickup.. the leafs are tough enough to handle it and the decent lifts they buy usualy come with ladder bars too

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mate I'm new at this as well.

This is the first car I have owned as I'm only 18. I was asking the same question and had a limited budget being an apprentice. The guys/girls on this site are fantastic and I would highly recommend any advise they give because it's all turned out to be spot on. You have much more available to you in the US than I do in Australia (land of Toyotas and Nissans) and your laws are more lax from what I can see.

I knew that I wanted a good quality lift that wasn't going to give me problems. I wanted the list to be safe, legal and done right.

For what it's worth I went with the Rubicon Express 3.5 Superflex.

Rob

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I will argue all day with you on that. a XJ on 3" of lift with 33" locked front and rear can easily cover 3/4 of Moab. I have had mine at 3.5" and 33" tires make it through a rock garden, gone up a black diamond ledge at Ks Rocks Park (on 31" tires). Yes I can not do ALOT of stuff I could if I was bigger but I still do SERIOUS wheeling

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
I will argue all day with you on that. a XJ on 3" of lift with 33" locked front and rear can easily cover 3/4 of Moab. I have had mine at 3.5" and 33" tires make it through a rock garden, gone up a black diamond ledge at Ks Rocks Park (on 31" tires). Yes I can not do ALOT of stuff I could if I was bigger but I still do SERIOUS wheeling
Ya I would have to agree with you on that one aswell. I know guys who are running 37's on a 3.5" lift and I assure you they can go places. A lot of it also should be factored as driver ability and the lines he/she choses to take.

·
Registered
444 Posts
i stand corrected..

If it were ME i would have started at 6.5.. because i have wheeled on 33s and now am on 35s and its an entirely different experience being just that lil bit bigger.. I also believe in ground clearance and not hacking the sh!t out of my fenders to fit bigger tires..

but thats my opinion.. not sayin that a shorter lift isnt capable..

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I think it's one thing to "hack" fenders and another thing to do some trimming. Alot of that is left to the individual, as I was totally against trimming my fenders but did it anyway, and I honestly couldn't be happier. They don't look hacked, and it cleans up really nicely.

Higher lifts are accompanied by higher COG's, which again, is up to the individual. I prefer to keep my COG lower, as it makes me more comfortable in off camber situations.

Building a rig is very personal, for lack of a better phrase.

·
Registered
444 Posts
i agree.. mine are neatly trimmed.. but i cant imagine what they'd look like it you tried to STUFF a 37 under a 3.5in lift..

·
Premium Member
9,248 Posts
I have a 90 cherokee. I want to lift it no more than 4 inch to start since its my first lifted jeep. I don't know who to ask or what questions really. I talked to someone who said rubicon .. I saw the rubicon express 3.5 superflex with leaf springs.. but I still don't know what i am looking at please help
To answer your original question: There many kits available, some more complete than others. If you are looking at a 3.5" kit then I am assuming you are not interested in anything too radical.

XJ lifts are in two basic configurations. Less than 3" and more than 3". Kits less than 3" usually consist of add a leaves for the rear and stiffer coil for the front and can utilize the original shocks. Once you get to 3", then to go higher you will need new control arms because the old ones will hit the metal brackets on the front axle. Once you go above 4.5" you will need to get long lower control arms and the brackets and brake lines that go with them. At 5.5" you will need to get a new track bar because it will hit the metal mounting on the front axle. All kits above 3" should have new rear leave springs. Stay away from lift blocks.

If you go above 4.5"f yo will need a slip yoke eliminator on the transfer case and a new drive shaft.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Lift is nice for high water and I guess some what for mud, but as far as climbing over obstacles I think it more about the grip of the rubber. The lower lifts just need proper bump stops. Oh, and the lower the lift, the lower the center of gravity. ;)

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
For 3.5" of lift, you'll have to either re-drill the tracbar bracket hole, or you'll have to go with an adjustable trackbar in order to properly center the axle - it'll come long before 5.5" of lift.

As for the SYE, in older model XJ's it's less predictable as to whether or not they'll need it. SYE's are almost a necessity for newer XJ's with 3.5"+ of lift.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
See mine are trimed to fit the larger tires and they were done clean and nice then roll on bedliner to prevent rusting (only had 31" at the time but knew was going up.

I woud rather have a low CG and be able to do more than be tall and tipsy but to each his own

1 - 20 of 20 Posts