Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the page. I have an 87 cherokee xj 4.0l. recently did a lift of 3 inches. Having some vibes. Recommended tc drop length? Homemade version with longer bolts? Welds?
Just had a compression problem.
Idle was high and low. Adjusted tv cable and for some reason at the same time while adjusting it made the fuel pump lose enough power to not give the engine enough psi. Loss of power and weird shifting while trying to drive. Started getting a misfire through the throttle body. Cleaned tb and acv as well. I was thinking this could have been a tps, but a mechanic buddy told me to check the fuel rail. Only getting 19-20 psi. Brand new fuel pump fixed the problem, however, Delfi fuel pump is LOUD. Anyone else have this problem? Compression is holding and it is driving and shifting great. It isn't idling high and low. I have always heard they are loud when they are going bad.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
NO TCase DROPS! Sorry, just need to hammer that point across. Whats the point of lifting a vehicle if you are just going to lower the important parts? We are advocates of doing a job the right way, so if you have vibes, you need to be looking at an SYE and driveshaft.
Also available at many other outlets including Quadratec, Amazon, Summit Racing, and more.

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
I agree. I don't like tcase drops either. And three inches of lift on an early Jeep is not usually necessary. Did you change the angle of your pinion? Many lift kits do. Besides, tcase drops screw with the linkage and may not shift right. Do you know how to check your driveline angles?

·
Super Moderator
10,627 Posts
No mention of tire size. When I went to 33's. My shift points were out of whack. Transmission would hunt, keep up and down shifting. It got scared just looking at a hill. adjusted the TV and it helped a little. Then I changed the speedo gear and it acted normal. I'm no expert, but I think the speedo being off affected the shift points. With 35's I'm dead on between 60-65. It changes a couple mph over the range of the speedo, but I can live with that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wanted to be able to tow some camping stuff. I need new struts, leaf spring were flat, shocks were screwed and control arms bushing were screwed. Got the rough country 3 inch lift to give it some more support if we wanted to tow. Tires are 29s. The vibes come more from acceleration and deceleration. I will look into my pinion and drive line angles. I think I might needs shims if the angle is just the problem. I looked into the SYE. I like it but I'm jeeping on a budget. A new drive shaft would be awesome too. The new speedo gear for 29 inch tires? Maybe just old?

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
No you only need a speedo gear when you regear your axles or make a significant jump in tire size. An SYE will mandate a new driveshaft, but you can use a stock front shaft from an XJ. Roughly 50 bucks on craigslist usually.

If you insist on a tc drop, no more than 1"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

So this would indicate I would need an SYE? with a new (longer) rear drive shaft?

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
As previously stated, an SYE works with a stock front driveshaft, placed in the rear. You lifted the Jeep ~3" though unless you measured before, we don't know exactly how much lift it actually is. Springs will settle and are almost never exactly the advertised lift height upon installation. Because you lifted it, the distance between the tcase and the rear pinion is now longer, so you risk pulling the stock driveshaft off the end of the slipyoke at full droop, and the angles have most likely changed, thus providing some driveline vibes. This tends to happen with Cherokees at the 3" lift mark. Its the magic number that determines how much money will be spent on the build. At 2" you can keep your stock shocks and brakelines by tweaking some things, at 3", you may need new brakelines, driveshaft and sye, trackbar, and more.

This thread should help with your budget parts:

Details on what lift you installed, what parts it came with, what parts are missing will help us determine what else needs done to keep your jeep up to par on the road. Help us help you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As previously stated, an SYE works with a stock front driveshaft, placed in the rear. You lifted the Jeep ~3" though unless you measured before, we don't know exactly how much lift it actually is. Springs will settle and are almost never exactly the advertised lift height upon installation. Because you lifted it, the distance between the tcase and the rear pinion is now longer, so you risk pulling the stock driveshaft off the end of the slipyoke at full droop, and the angles have most likely changed, thus providing some driveline vibes. This tends to happen with Cherokees at the 3" lift mark. Its the magic number that determines how much money will be spent on the build. At 2" you can keep your stock shocks and brakelines by tweaking some things, at 3", you may need new brakelines, driveshaft and sye, trackbar, and more.

This thread should help with your budget parts:

Details on what lift you installed, what parts it came with, what parts are missing will help us determine what else needs done to keep your jeep up to par on the road. Help us help you.
The rough country lift I bought came with new leaf springs, control arms, shocks, coils and sway bar drop attachments. Before the lift, the leaf springs were flat. So I would imagine I got somewhere around 4.5/5 inches of lift after installation. Thank you. All of this information has really helped. I think I'm headed in the right direction now.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Sounds like the trackbar, and front and rear brakelines weren't included. You'll need to remedy that as well as your driveline issues.

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
Looking at your pic, I got away with that much extension of the slip yoke. Try this, it sometimes works. Take the driveline out and grease the splines real good and see if that helps. Also we still don't know about your pinion angle. If you don't know about that, I can post a how to

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking at your pic, I got away with that much extension of the slip yoke. Try this, it sometimes works. Take the driveline out and grease the splines real good and see if that helps. Also we still don't know about your pinion angle. If you don't know about that, I can post a how to

I have looked up how to do it, I just to dont have a tool to figure out the angle. I work in a shop so I usually try and do most of my work at the shop. I will try greasing as well. I was underneath thinking it could use it.

·
Premium Member
9,379 Posts
You can get a free app for your cell phone. I have two of them

Here is a link where I explain how to do it with an old school angle finder

1 - 13 of 13 Posts