Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm here in Southern Illinois and I just bought a 2000 XJ for the primary purpose of flat-towing behind my motorhome. Everything on it is completely stock.

On the advice of several in the motorhome community, I have already ordered a JCR Offroad Gladiator Bumper w/ Unibody tie-ins to connect to my roadmaster tow-bar.

In a very near future, I would like to look at increasing tire size and upgrading anything that is necessary to go to ~31" tire-size. I'd be grateful for any advice on this as I am completely new to the XJ scene. From what I can tell, a 3-4" suspension lift is a must. Offroading is something I've never done and would like to begin exploring, more-so toward overlanding / trails and less-so mud/rock-crawling etc.
Thanks for any pointers in the right path!

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
First: Welcome to the jeeplife and offroad world! I'm just NW of you in Iowa. I have friends from southern Ill, specifically closer to Quincy and Staunton.

Start reading. Thats step 1. My thread here is along the lines of what you are describing you want. To fit 31s with stock uncut fenders, you'll need at least a 3.5" lift. I am currently on 4" with 31s and I moved my front fenders up 1.5" to help clear better when under heavy flex. I am warning you now, to run a 3.5"+ lift kit on one of these, you have to do a lot of work. Lots of things to upgrade so it all works together well. There are many threads that document this.
Some useful threads to start reading:

·
Super Moderator
10,522 Posts
Hello and welcome to the community and the forum. You have a ton of options. It all depends on your budget and how you want too accomplish the work. 99 % of us here do our own upgrades and repairs. 31 inch tires is a good starting point. Most people settle in at 33. It's your ride so build it to your specs. 2" of lift is easy and cheap. 3" is about the limit before a small change cost a bunch.
How many miles on the Jeep? Is it in really good shape? What tranny, tcase and rear axle? These we need to know because some of these are better than others.
Post up some pics we love pics.
Btw. This forum is a wealth of info. A quick search and you will have reading material for days. We are not responsible for hours and days lost reading post. 😁 thats kind of a joke. But this forum is loaded with people's builds. Including mine. Check out my signature for a couple links to get you started.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the warm welcome!!!
I will do as many of my own mods as possible and am using the whole project as a bit of a learning experience. I just got the Jeep this past weekend. It has 155k on it; it's a Classic trim-level, and looks to be completely stock inside and out. I believe it has the Chrysler 8.25 rear end, 242 T-Case and 4-spd auto trans. The body is in good shape but has a small amount of rust on the rockers and bottoms of the doors, nothing awful. Engine is peppy and outside of a bad oil pressure sending unit is in pretty good shape. Air blows cold and hot respectively and the whole thing goes down the road just as straight as can be!

·
Registered
7,105 Posts
Looks great! The trick is to keep it driving that way after modding it. Doing it the right way helps avoid a mess of problems. I did that the hard way. If you're willing to learn, and willing to do the work, an XJ can be an awesome platform. But these are old enough now that taking them to a shop to have everything done just isn't feasible in most cases.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I absolutely understand what you're saying. I definitely need this to behave on the road. We travel 10,000+ miles a year in our motorhome and this will definitely spend a lot of time looking at the back-end of a freightliner going 60-70 mph.
I guess that brings me to the question of if I went with a smaller tire, such as a 30" tire to avoid a bigger lift, would that keep things more manageable?

·
Premium Member
9,294 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There is one thing about the 00 XJs that you need to know. If you lift them over 2" you will need to modify the transfer case and drive line to what is called a slip yoke eliminator. This changes the type of driveline. I am aware of only one kit for the NP242. It is called a hack and tap. I have run 31" tires on a stock height. The rear tires rubbed the fender flare a little when stuffed. However it was very minimal. There was some rubbing on the front lower control arms, but a lift will not cure that. The wheel needs to be moved out to fix that. Either change the wheels or install wheel spacers. If you don't want to do all that, you can run a 30" tire without modifications

1 - 9 of 9 Posts