Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 98 grandcherokee with a 4.0L. I have an electrical problem and I know these things are know for that. But the cluster only lights up, hazards and turn signals don't work when trying to use them. Also when in drive it don't down shift to 1st and 2nd. But I can manually shift 1st and second. Jeep drives fine other then that. Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
10,627 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Yes, these are notorious for electrical issues.
You can start by cleaning your battery terminals and posts. Clean the grounds on the block, fender and firewall. Pull your dash cluster and reseat the electrical connectors. I believe your transmission control module is under the center of the dash at the transmission hump. We have some active members who are more knowledgeable on your model who will be chiming in.
How many miles?

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok perfect thats where I'll start. Not sure of the miles cause the cluster is inop. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
But the cluster only lights up,
I would look at all fuses in the fuse box, and go from there. Can you pull codes with a code reader?!? Usually if the cluster is dead, the PCM has issues, not always, but it is common. The best way to see what is going on is to get a code reader ($40 on amazon) and see what's coming out of it. If you can't pull codes, in conjunction with the cluster being dead, would mean the PCM/ECU connectors are bad or the PCM/ECU is.

hazards and turn signals don't work when trying to use them.
Replace the flasher (grey box in fuse panel) and see if that helps. The flasher is uber expensive at the local parts store. I usually pull em when I can at the local PNP JY for free.

This is a special LED support flasher and is why the price tag is near $50 for a new one. There's more tachnical spec stuff in relation to these, but that isn't necessary here.

Also when in drive it don't down shift to 1st and 2nd. But I can manually shift 1st and second.
I believe your transmission control module is under the center of the dash at the transmission hump.
This usually falls under two categories: if the transmission is always in 2nd gear = it is in limp home mode. If it is just the 2 > 1 downshift it could be a misaligned cable or the shift solenoid on the transmission throttle body is cooked and needs replacing.

How many miles? and let us know what happens. Feel free to ask some more. I can always give my 2 cents... Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the input. So I checked all fuses found one blown for the turn signals. Not sure what the miles are on the jeep. I checked the wires behind the cluster I have power and ground. But what is supposed to be the supply power from the pcm? I am getting 2.1 volts to the cluster. It also has an after market alarm and is a rats nest under the dash. Possible problem but not sure yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts