Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!! Newbie to this site. Glad to meet you all. My XJ is a 1991 Sport. I have the 4.0 HO, AW-4, NP231, HP D30, D44, 4.56 gears and Aussie Lockers front and rear, Rusty's/Daystar 6" lift, Pro-Comp 32" mud tires, ORF bumper, XRC8000 winch, JCR Off-road rock sliders.
I do have a question to start off with. My 91 has the old vacuum disco front D30. I have read that getting a set of axles from a 92 or newer D30 would get me:

1.) No more axle disco to have to mess with?
2.) Thicker/stronger axle shafts?
3.) Larger 760 axle U-joints?

I was also wondering, would these newer axles bolt right into my D30 housing or are other modifications required.

I will post a picture of my rig as soon as I get home from work.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Welcome from Ohio...really you don't need a whole new axle housing to eliminate the disco...just get a one piece shaft from a 97+ xj, or a pre '97 xj with abs for the bigger u-joints. Remove the two piece shaft(s), the disconnect, and use a block off plate. Welcome again...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Grey. I just installed a front locker and everything spins all the time anyway, now. So, I figured I'd ditch the 2 piece wimpy right axle and disco to have fewer pieces that can break.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's the pic.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
welcome to CT from PR

edit: 2k post wooooh!!!

·
Registered