Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So they've been out for a few months now, but I haven't heard any reviews, positive or negative, about these gears. Has anyone here at CT installed a set? Know anyone who has? Read any reviews around the web? If so let me know, as I'm thinking about going to 4.88s should I decide to go to 33" tires later on this year. Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Wow 4.88 will be reealy low on 31's ha.

Edit: And i just noticed that you have the ax5 so that will be super-duper low ha. Will be nice on the rocks though.
But you probably already knew that.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
So they've been out for a few months now, but I haven't heard any reviews, positive or negative, about these gears. Has anyone here at CT installed a set? Know anyone who has? Read any reviews around the web? If so let me know, as I'm thinking about going to 4.88s should I decide to go to 33" tires later on this year. Thanks! :thumbsup:
I would just go and get them installed by somebody who has a warranty. This way if something happens they can cover it.

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow 4.88 will be reealy low on 31's ha.

Edit: And i just noticed that you have the ax5 so that will be super-duper low ha. Will be nice on the rocks though.
But you probably already knew that.
But I also have the 2.5L 4-banger, which comes from the factory with 4.10s. With 31s it isn't bad, and I plan on installing a new intake and exhaust system + an electric fan swap to squeeze some more power out of the motor, but I don't want to jump to 33s without a regear simply because I drive this thing 40 miles a day on windy, hilly WV roads.

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would just go and get them installed by somebody who has a warranty. This way if something happens they can cover it.
Very true, good point. Now it's just a matter of figuring out if my 8.25 is 27 spline or 29 spline. :rofl: I'm right in that gray area where I just can't be sure.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I didn't think the spline count had anything to do with the ring and pinion

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was under the impression the carrier was different, but then I realized I shouldn't need a new carrier anyways since I'm already past the threshold. As for a locker, not planning on it anytime soon, but Lock-Right makes one for the 27 spline anyways. But if I do a locker it will most likely be in the 30.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
I was under the impression the carrier was different, but then I realized I shouldn't need a new carrier anyways since I'm already past the threshold. As for a locker, not planning on it anytime soon, but Lock-Right makes one for the 27 spline anyways. But if I do a locker it will most likely be in the 30.
Keep in mind that if you plan on running a selectable locker it will be cheaper to do both the locker and gear install at the same time.

·
Registered
600 Posts
You're ok either way, the 8.25 does not have a carrier break.

And I'm not sure you would want to lock a 27 spline 8.25 with 33's anyway. I was under the impression that the 27 spline 8.25 is not any stonger than a d35.

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're ok either way, the 8.25 does not have a carrier break.

And I'm not sure you would want to lock a 27 spline 8.25 with 33's anyway. I was under the impression that the 27 spline 8.25 is not any stonger than a d35.
This is all still speculation at this point. If I were going to dive into all this I'd probably try to find a 29 spline 8.25 for cheap and overhaul it, or get an XJ 44. I was just curious to see what people had to say about the 4.88s for the 8.25 since they've been out for a while but I've heard nothing about them.

OK new/slightly unrelated question, what's the lowest gears you can put in a D30? I've heard it's 4.88, but I've seen 5.38s listed too. No 5.13s though. This confuses me. :dunno:

I feel like a newb again. This is fun. :D

·
Budget Master
1,145 Posts
i feal like i always do! lol.

·
Registered
600 Posts
HPD30 can go up to 4.88. LPD30 goes up to 5.38, but for some reason skips 5.13 :dunno:

·
Registered
953 Posts
hmmm, everything i have ever read, heard, says otherwise but hey they do weird crap when they manufacture new vehicles. Are you sure that a late model 96 isn't actually a 97. What I am trying to say is that they always release the next year vehicle a couple months before Jan.1 and that could be considered late model 96 with a 97 body.

Does that make any sense? I dunno.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts