Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Quick update.
I cleaned up those connections.
While I had the battery out, I took out the starter and tested it at home. The motor worked but sounded a little weak.

Once I got everything back in, I tried it again. This time I heard a click and it sounded like it was the starter clicking, but nothing else besides that.
Hell, just hearing something in the engine area when trying to crank it is a step forward in my book.

Ideas?

Once again, thanks to everyone for the help. I really do appreciate it.

Armando

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Not sure who get's any updates on this thread, but in case you do, here's how it all landed.

Got my girl up and running again. Turns out after all this it was the starter. The mechanism in the motor was going bad and the first bench test was done quickly and not very thoroughly so when a "pass" indication was delivered that was the verdict.
After taking it again to get tested and specifically explaining everything that has been done so far, they thoroughly tested it and determined it was weak and malfunctioning.
Irritated, BUT,

1. The starter was still under warranty, and I was given a new one on the spot, no charge.
2. I got on this forum and found a great place to come and get some decent advice/help/guidance.
3. I've learned a lot about stuff that I would have otherwise not learned about.
4. I cleaned up and changed some other items in the Jeep that will help in the long run.

Thanks again for all the posts and advice.

I'm going to be working on the brakes next, front and back, so if there is anywhere you can point me to, I am more than willing to take the advice.

Thanks again,

Armando

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you checked the battery ? It can happen because of a dead or low battery. I had a similar issue back in the past, but I have fixed it by replacing the battery. One day I just couldn't crank the engine, and I didn't know what to do. Fortunately, I have found this article on OtO PartShop – A variety of different car body parts and add-on components for each vehicle. Wide range of spare parts and car accessories. about how to jump start a car, and it worked. I have immediately changed the battery and the problem dissappeared. I advise you to check your battery, man.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Common oil gunk on the hot wiring going back to the starter, common considering the oil filter always pukes there when changing the oil. I had a similar issue with gunk and the wires on that plug had pulled back a bit from the insulation, was making contact and grounding, giving me no start. Ended up doing the ignition switch, coil, before I found it . Also whenever I'm doubt about a starter, I get a 2x4 and a hammer and gently peck the starter, it will always tell on itself. If I works like that it's on its way out, the puff of smoke also a tell tell sign

21 - 24 of 24 Posts