Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, woke up for class this morning and went to warm up the jeep and it wouldn't turn over. no clicking, no noises. battery was charged, all the lights came on, but nothing else.

Went wheeling sunday, drove through some water mostly axle deep but one section bumper deep (on a stock height xj). started and drove fine yesturday. won't start today.

I have the feeling it has to do with getting water in some place i wasn't supose to because it was pretty cold last night...but not so cold sunday night. so i think that the water that is in a place it shouldn't be froze and won't let an action happen. can anyone confirm where this place would be or if i'm completely looney or other suggestions?:dunno:

thanks

Gnome

EDIT: there is a single click when i turn the key to the start position.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
OK, woke up for class this morning and went to warm up the jeep and it wouldn't turn over. no clicking, no noises. battery was charged, all the lights came on, but nothing else.

Went wheeling sunday, drove through some water mostly axle deep but one section bumper deep (on a stock height xj). started and drove fine yesturday. won't start today.

I have the feeling it has to do with getting water in some place i wasn't supose to because it was pretty cold last night...but not so cold sunday night. so i think that the water that is in a place it shouldn't be froze and won't let an action happen. can anyone confirm where this place would be or if i'm completely looney or other suggestions?:dunno:

thanks

Gnome

Did you try putting it into neutral and starting it?

If so, try moving the shift selector back and forth between park and neutral several times.

You might try moving the selector slightly while it is in neutral and turning the key to start.

There is a neutral safety lockout that is known to act up. Of course I'm assuming you have an automatic.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's manual. tried starting it in neutral an in gear. cleaned the battery terminals and tried jumpstarting (even though all lights turned on) just to rule out the simple things.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
it's manual. tried starting it in neutral an in gear. cleaned the battery terminals and tried jumpstarting (even though all lights turned on) just to rule out the simple things.
Well I don't know about a standard, but they must have some sort of lock out to keep you from starting the engine with it in gear.

I suspect there is a switch on the clutch. I know my wife's Mustang will not start unless the clutch is depressed. If that switch isn't working, it may keep you from starting.

Hopefully someone will jump in with some Jeep standard transmission experience soon.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, i haven't tried to kick start it because if it doesn't start, i'm at the bottom of the hill with my thumb in my mouth. that's the only reason i haven't tried that yet.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
No, i haven't tried to kick start it because if it doesn't start, i'm at the bottom of the hill with my thumb in my mouth. that's the only reason i haven't tried that yet.
Can you hook up a recovery strap and have one of your friends just pull you either a.) back up the hill, b.) across a flat stretch of road/driveway/land so that you can give it a shot?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no need. figured it out. i pulled the starter and brought it to advanced auto parts and they tested it and it was completely dead.

thanks for the quick suggestions guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts