Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first off Im putting a new head unit in my cherokee and I checked the fuses and nothing I am not a wiz at wires so I need help cause Ive got my dash ripped apart and need some help as to which wire could be used as a switched jumper,or if there is an easyer solution to this problem. This is a project I started a week or two ago and my wife is getting pissed cause this is our dd and I just bought a 100 dollar head unit so in close help me please exorsise the deamons:bow:

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Ok first off Im putting a new head unit in my cherokee and I checked the fuses and nothing I am not a wiz at wires so I need help cause Ive got my dash ripped apart and need some help as to which wire could be used as a switched jumper,or if there is an easyer solution to this problem. This is a project I started a week or two ago and my wife is getting pissed cause this is our dd and I just bought a 100 dollar head unit so in close help me please exorsise the deamons:bow:
There are better solutions, but in a pinch you can just go to the fuse of a switched circuit.

They make stereo adapters, to adapt from EOM to what every brand head unit you have. You just plug the adapter into the plug in the dash, and then the other end of the adapter to your head unit. Or wire it to the head unit, I guess it depends on the adapter.

I haven't done any of this stuff in years, but I wanted to give you an answer. Hopefully someone else will show up and give you some more complete information.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
just buy the adapter, it takes the guesswork away. Usually lets say a puple is a positive to a speaker and a purple with a stripe is a negative and so on. Yellow is constant and red is power.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I just answered a similar question in another thread. I used to own my own car audio shop. I had the same problem with my XJ. I actually tested the wires and found that I had no constant power, but I did have switchable power. What I ended up doing was running 2 wires from the fuse box. One for switchable and one for constant. When I start adding accessories that require more constant 12V power, I'll do something more permanent like an aftermarket fuse block for my aftermarket accessories. Try running 2 wires to the fuse box. Your ground is fine, but you need that power from the fuse box. It should only take about 10 minutes to run the wires and get it working.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I had this problem also so I ran a wire from the lighter to the switched power wire on the head unit and ran a constant power wire with inline fuse from the battery. I plan on getting another fuse block to run all of my accessories through eventually but I have had no problems splicing into the lighter since it hardly gets any use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts