Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met this vehicle about a year ago, and I'm impressed with the stoutness of it. This motor is strong. On to the queries. The A/C is non-functioning after I charged it this spring. It held for the summer, but no longer. I know this is a lazy question, but is there a weak link in this system? I can't find a leak under the hood, is it the evaporator that I'm thinking I need to look at, under the dash?

Part 2 is this clunk that you can feel just before coming to a stop, and then again on takeoff. This is intermittent, and I can't quite isolate it, seems to be coming from the rear-end. This is all on a stock 4 -door Sport with 116k miles, automatic/I6. Aand as always, thanks in advance.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
My mechanic said the "O" rings on the AC lines are good for about 2 to 3 years, then they need to be replaced.

I used some "O" ring and stop leak for AC systems. My system won't hold factory pressure but the AC works just fine. The little temp gauge I have stuck in the vent reads 38 degrees!

The fix would be to replace the "O" rings, but I was advised to replace the lines. We did this on my wife's 96 Mustang. The compressor started leaking about 6 months later, so we replaced that. Since then (about 3 years) it has been running great.

Most places will only do the whole thing for $1200. lol The lines were ahhh $180, and the compressor was $250 for the Mustang. I spent another $150 for labor (I think).

If you had a vacumn and some AC gauges you could do it all yourself pretty quick and easy. I just get the stuff and let my mechanic do the vacumn and refil.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
AC question I cant answer but the clunk is your rear DS. The slipjoint needs to be relubed and your problem should be solved.
Mine does this occasionally. I don't recall seeing a slipjoint on the rear driveshaft. I have one on the front drive shaft.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Delayed answer

Thanks for the replies. I still like this Wide Wide World of Web. New baby limits online time. I'll be back...

·
Registered
934 Posts
The clunk could be one of the u-joints in the rear drive shaft. Chryslers are notorious for leaking evaporator cores.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I still like this Wide Wide World of Web. New baby limits online time. I'll be back...
Congrats on the baby. :thumbsup:

Lube the rear driveshaft. Do that by unbolting the 4 little bolts at the axle end and then slipping it off at the transfer case end. Shove lube inside that hole and all over the splines and then re-install. The clunk should be gone, unless it's something else. I have the same year and jeep and had this exact same problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts