Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed an Aussie Locker into my dana 30, and I'm having a little problem. I have a non-disco front, did the install, and found that the locker is not disengaging in 2wd. I tried to get it to unlock on dry pavement, no throttle, and turning. Steering feels awfully heavy! All my specs. were in acceptable parameters when I assembled it. Does the locker need to break in, for a couple of days? I had a lunch box in the rear of a Sami before, but never in the front of anything. I thought this locker would be fairly transparent in 2wd.:(

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Hmm, I can't speak for the front axle yet, but I still don't have mine in. As for the rear axle, I find my lunchbox to be very transparent during normal driving. It releases when I hope it does and it engages when it should.

·
Banned
851 Posts
I had one in the front end of a YJ for over 2 years. And it never even would unlock in a corner. After awhile I just started unlocking the 2 pc. shaft with a posi-lock.

Be you could always tell it was there..

·
Registered
600 Posts
My buddy has an aussie in his d30 of his zj and he says he can barely tell it is there in 2wd.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
I've never been a fan of automatic lockers in a front axle. Most of the people that I know that have run them successfully also have hubs unlike almost all of us

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did you do the wheel spin test and get the clicking?

The only thing I can think of is your shims are a bit too thick which is preventing the locker from disengaging when in 2wd.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh Boy!

I drove my Xj around town, and can honestly say I hate it now. It's partially unlocking now. I just hope that it will get better in the next few days. I really wouldn't want to run this on an icy road. I wish I had a selectable now.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I drove my Xj around town, and can honestly say I hate it now. It's partially unlocking now. I just hope that it will get better in the next few days. I really wouldn't want to run this on an icy road. I wish I had a selectable now.
There must be something wrong. My buddy siad he does not notice it at all. He was having trouble with it when his transfercase was acting up; it was not staying in 2wd. Maybe the same is happening to you.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Ok, just talked to my friend and he was having the same issue that you were. The locker was partially unlocking. Like I said before, his issue was his transfer case. Try taking out the front driveshaft and drive around with it out. If the problem goes away, you know the problem is your transfer case.

·
Registered
231 Posts
:thumbdown: automatic lockers, haven't really heard much good news about them, i have heard of them locking on turns a lot, (not constantly) but from what i understand there isn't much you can do.

·
Registered
54 Posts
:thumbdown: automatic lockers, haven't really heard much good news about them, i have heard of them locking on turns a lot, (not constantly) but from what i understand there isn't much you can do.
Don't know who you've been talking to but EVERYONE I know that has an Aussie absolutely loves it. The OP's problem is either with his install or his transfercase.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a note!

Okay, I'll disconnect the front drive shaft, and see. It's a little cold here at the moment (-28c) in un-heated garage. I don't think I screwed up, but it's possible. I put a lockrite in my Sami 2 years ago, and it worked as advertised. I did my regear and Arb in the rear of my xj ; so I think the Aussie would have been easier to figure out! I still have some shims left over. I've contacted Aussie with an email about my problem also.

ps. I'm running yukon chromo's up front, and no vac. disco if it helps?:(

·
This is Ames mister...
344 Posts
As mentioned you should not be having those problems. The Aussie should act exactly like that Lockrite - they're essentially the exact same thing!

When the Aussie is working properly you will definitely here it clicking when going around corners but it should not be binding in any way when in 2wd.

What were the specs of your install?

·
Registered
600 Posts
No, that's not the only way it will drive well, as I stated earlier my friend has an aussie in his d30 and it drives just fine.

And if you are going to suggest spending $1000+ on locking hubs, then he might as well get a selectable locker.

·
Registered
260 Posts
either way it will fix your problem....the plus side of the hub kit would be,u loose the the garbage unit bearing set up.....the down side of the selectable locker is,....if a air solenoid or air line or compressor fails on the trail,your back to a open diff...........and i was just sugesting the hub it cuz you wanted to know how to fix your problem

·
This is Ames mister...
344 Posts
either way it will fix your problem....the plus side of the hub kit would be,u loose the the garbage unit bearing set up.....the down side of the selectable locker is,....if a air solenoid or air line or compressor fails on the trail,your back to a open diff...........and i was just sugesting the hub it cuz you wanted to know how to fix your problem
Yes that would address the situation but it won't fix the problem. Aussie's are virtually invisible in front axles while in 2wd when installed properly...:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts