Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  4.3L XJ 
#1 ·
hello everyone. New here and new to jeeps. I have a 2002 jeep grand cherokee with the 4.0 and quadradrive case. How do I tell if the transfer case is bad?

I have taken the front drive shaft out and I still have this roaring sound. I have replaced the following...new rear axles with bearings, new front axles, new front hubs, new front pinion bearings and I still have the sound. With rear wheels off the ground and rotating, sound is gone. When I turn the transfer case with wheels off the ground, it feels like every 3/4 turn, it gets a little tight. What could be my issue? I am tired of chasing down and replacing parts...any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
I checked my FSM and it says you probably have insufficient or the wrong fluid in it. It should be drained and refilled with Dextron II. It also says if you do that and it is still noisy that you should repeat. If still noisy, you will have to take it apart and inspect all parts

#3 ·
Thanks but dealer confirmed I needed that special oil and that is what I put in it...I think my front differential may still.be my issue. I didn't replace the race so it still may be noisy...but I will replace the transfer case anyway...I found a good 242...I like the 2wd option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.