Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know that the wheel/tire dead horse seems to get a regular beating but I'm trying to come at this from a slightly different angle.
I have a bone stock 98 Cherokee Limited with the Upcountry package. It's running the old "snowflake" alloys, 15x7 I believe. I am trying to keep it stock because it serves as a daily driver as well as the occassional backroad crawler and I don't want to tempt myself to do anything stupid with it because I can't afford to lose use of it for any extended period of time. I will say, even bone stock, it is capable of handling about 150% of what I will ever subject it to. It has Michelin LTX tires which look really tame but are nearly brand new (and really good tires) so I have been having trouble finding an excuse to "upgrade".
I've been looking for excuses to do something to it but it's just so perfect for my needs right now I can't bring myself to mess that up. One place that I can see reason for improvement is that 15" tires are starting to get pretty limited in availability on the used and take-off market, and another is that the old snowflakes look super dated. So I have been trying come up with an OEM wheel that would fit, maybe bump me up to a 17", look like it was made in the last decade, and be readily available on the take-off/used market.
The Chrysler 300 wheels are so close. The bolt pattern is off by just a couple of milimeters, but they can be found in a 17"x7.5" with an offset that looks close enough and the right center bore. Is that close enough? Is it easier to modify bolt center or center bore? Anybody have useful experience with wheel substitution that could help?

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Bolt pattern is 5x4.5. Wheels that fit are 5 lug Toyota, mustang, ranger, older wranglers, explorers, bronco II, and a few others.

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
Or get adapters and run new JK Wrangler wheels. Thousands of take off sets available all over the place.

·
Premium Member
11,625 Posts
Ok, I know that the wheel/tire dead horse seems to get a regular beating but I'm trying to come at this from a slightly different angle.
I have a bone stock 98 Cherokee Limited with the Upcountry package. It's running the old "snowflake" alloys, 15x7 I believe. I am trying to keep it stock because it serves as a daily driver as well as the occassional backroad crawler and I don't want to tempt myself to do anything stupid with it because I can't afford to lose use of it for any extended period of time. I will say, even bone stock, it is capable of handling about 150% of what I will ever subject it to. It has Michelin LTX tires which look really tame but are nearly brand new (and really good tires) so I have been having trouble finding an excuse to "upgrade".
I've been looking for excuses to do something to it but it's just so perfect for my needs right now I can't bring myself to mess that up. One place that I can see reason for improvement is that 15" tires are starting to get pretty limited in availability on the used and take-off market, and another is that the old snowflakes look super dated. So I have been trying come up with an OEM wheel that would fit, maybe bump me up to a 17", look like it was made in the last decade, and be readily available on the take-off/used market.
The Chrysler 300 wheels are so close. The bolt pattern is off by just a couple of milimeters, but they can be found in a 17"x7.5" with an offset that looks close enough and the right center bore. Is that close enough? Is it easier to modify bolt center or center bore? Anybody have useful experience with wheel substitution that could help?
The 300 and Magnum wheels are sick IMO. I love that military-ish type wheel.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/rims-135160.html

Post#4

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts
I moved to 16" and never looked back. Just sold the original wheels (15") and tires that were on it when I bought it.

The first one is my 15" wheels.
2nd one is 16" wheels from a 2000 XJ
3rd and 4th are my favorite 16" chrysler LHS wheels (luxury)

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome! Ok, the LHS wheels look nice but suprisingly similar to my old "snowflakes". I would love to find something like those 2000 XJ wheels. Did a little cross referencing on wheel-size.com and came up with these, all 5x114.3, 71.6 center bore, approximately the same offset:
16"x7"
87-90 Dodge Dakota
97-98 Grand Cherokee
16"x7.5"
87-90 Dodge Dakota
01-07 Grand Caravan
17"x7.5"
01-07 Cherokee
97-98 Grand Cherokee
01-07 Liberty
97-01 Prowler

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts

·
Administrator
6,426 Posts
Look up the Ravine wheels, factory on certain TJ Wrangler models. 15x8, 5.5" backspacing. Look like this:

·
Registered
670 Posts
I like the Ravine wheels and also the Grizzly which you had. Good thing about the Ravine is there factory 15X8. Both are in my opinion nice wheels. I also like the ones you currently are running.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I went wheel adaptor route.

Sent from my Z959 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts