Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was the early mid 80's the last time I bought an off road light. I bought a pair of KC lights. Many of you, if not all, know that in the near future I'll have a new front bumper with tabs for lighting. At least 4 spots will be available on the new bumper.

I was poking around the Internet trying to see what options I have for off road lighting. There are many more brands now than 25 years ago! lol

It seems the majority of the lights are round, which is okay, but I would prefer to have something rectangular.

Do you get more light from round lights, or is round just the most popular right now.

I am going for function over style, so round is fine if that's the best and brightest for the buck.

Also I have to be concerned about the amount of power, alternator/battery, I have compared to the current draw of all the electrical.

I see there are at least a couple of types of lights. Long distance and driving lights (wider beam). I'll have four lights, so I can adjust them for a point, or a spread. I will probably adjust them for a spread. So I'm thinking four long distance lights.

Anyway the reason I am posting this up is to get some feedback from people with more (any in this case) experience than I have. I may be looking at the whole thing wrong, so teach me. I am a sponge. :rofl:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am going to be doing the same thing but only with 3 lights. I am going to get 2 pencil beams and 1 wide.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Round vs rectangle is really just about personal preference.

If you're looking for all out performance above all else, check out the LightForce line of lights. Jeepin.com: LightForce Offroad Lighting I've been running a set for a number of years now and they're awesome. Expensive, but awesome. They've got a virtually unbreakable polycarbonate lens, the beam is adjustable like a Maglight, and they've got interchangeable filters available. I run mine with a set of the amber combo filters.

For bang for the buck, IMHO it's hard to beat the IPF 968 lights. They're about the same size as the Hella 500s but they've got a combo reflector for a better beam pattern, plus their wiring harness is 100X better than the DIY kit you get with the Hellas. We run the IPF 968s on our TJ. They run about $128/pair. There's a rectangular version of the IPF 968s as well if you did want to go the square route.

For cheaper lights, you might also consider the Rampage driving lights. They're basically knock-offs of the Hella 500s and they go for about $59/set.

The IPFs and Rampage lights all come standard with 55W H3 bulbs.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, keep um coming. I'm reading looking up, etc... :bow:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know a lot of guys back home run two wides for long distance and then point the other two toward the ground a bit which helps when cresting hills on the trails. I think that is how I'm going to run mine. It works pretty darn good.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought 500 Hellas on Amazon.com for $35.99 shipped.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I haven't got to this stage yet but check out Lightforce Lights. This is the Australian site have read.

My old man uses the Lightforce 240 XGT. Two speaders on the outside on two pencil beams in the middle. Just awsome. He does a lot of outback driving where lights become more of a safety thing than a fashion statement. These things light the place up for about 1.3 kms.

I will be buying lightforce.

Rob

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts

·
Budget Master
1,145 Posts
lightforce is great there light and durible and bright but i dont like the look. i like kc's with the bar guards on.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have the 4 of the Pilot Navigator lights. And 2 Hella 500's can't tell the difference. I went with cheaper lights, wont bother me near as much for $35 VS. $135 if I break one.

Amazon.com: Pilot NV331 Navigator - Driving Light With Cover: Automotive
What are those two small lights on your front bumper? Also you can get the hello 500's for $40 on amazon at Amazon.com: Hella HLA-H13750601 Model 500 Driving Lamp Kit: Automotive

Also did those Pilot lights come with all the wiring and switches needed?

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
There just some cheapy lights I bought at PepBoys

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is great, lots of options, and much cheaper ones as well. :bow:

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts