Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Fram filter bc of the grip, and well any high mileage oil that its available.. mostly castrol gtx

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no everything works great. no leaks for four years now other then a rear main seal thats was leaking before the switch to SYN
Interesting, I hear of a lot of people running into leaking problems when switching to syn after years of regular. Must be another internet myth.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Interesting, I hear of a lot of people running into leaking problems when switching to syn after years of regular. Must be another internet myth.
should we contact the mythbusters?:pop:

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i ran kerosene through right before switching I dont know if that would make a differece in the leakege but i do it to clean gunk and sludge
I for one have never heard of that, very interesting.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I for one have never heard of that, very interesting.

Lots of people do that on regular oil changes. Some use kerosene, ATF (it has detergents in it), jet fuel, seafoam, etc... Is it effective? Dunno. Just remember most of these things suck as a lubricant, so you'd better not run it too long.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I use a big ford oil filter with the cheap shop oil. :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Nope.. not a myth at all...

The higher detergent properties in synthetic oils clean out the deposits and crud left over from running dino oils. So if there was a leak that was clogged with those deposits you will get a leak as those deposits are cleaned out.

BTW.. I run cheapo farm store 20w-50 and a Purolator filter. My Jeep leaks oil WAY too badly to run my own oil in it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I run Castrol GTX High Mileage 10w-30 with a oversized WIX filter for better filtration.

I did however try Mobile 1 Fully Synthetic oil one time for about 1 day. But my oil pressure guage went off the scale (literatly). As in WAY to much pressure. I then changed back to coventional oil and have had no problems since.

Any of you guys ever hear of something like this?

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Mobile 5000 and purolator filter.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Castrol GTX and Fram filter.

Every other filter I have tried leaks - every friggen one! I have heard bad things about Fram filters, but have never had any issues and have run them in all my vehicles for the past 30 years.

I change my oil about every 1000 miles or so as I spend a lot of time crawling at a low rpm with high engine temps, so the oil breaks down quickly.

I use Royal Purple in my diffs and tranny and regular ATF in the t-case. Diffs, tranny and t-case fluids get changed every spring.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts