Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday i changed the oil in my 91xj and while i was at it did a general check over everything else. thats when i discovered oil all in my air filter. honestly the first thing that come to mind was a faultly pcv valve untill i realized that their wasnt one, i didnt know that the xjs didnt have them. ne way after talking to a couple of mechanics, they explained to me that i was getting blow-by and that i needed a ring job ( $1100 ). ok heres my question, if i were in fact getting blow-by how come my xj isnt skipping or smokeing???:dunno: is that what blow-by is, rings gone bad and letting oil into the combustion chamber? i just figured that it would faul the plugs if that were the case. ne insight would be greatly appreciated. btw the motor has 190000 miles on it, so i kno that a new motor is bound to need replacing before long. if there is nething that postpone that particular project would be great :brickwall:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yep good ole blow buy...you have a vacuum line coming from the valve cover to the breather tube. There is an elbow that mounts to the valve cover. Clean that or replace it and clean or replace that vacuum hose and should be good. If not you may have to pull the valve cover and clean it as well. If that doesn't work then it's much deeper then that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You absolutely donnot need a ring job!!!!!!

I bought my XJ with 185K miles on it. It now has 240K miles on it. I've driven and 4wheeled the piss out of this thing for 4 years, now. I get the oil in air filter, too. My XJ has good compression in all cylinders, does not foul plugs, does not burn a drop of oil and it runs like a RAPED APE!!!!! So, my take is if it aint broke, don't fix it. I have put a bigger vacuum fitting and hose from my intake to my PCV hook up on the valve cover. I have cleaned the valve cover and the PCV fittings. I've tried all the tricks I've read about, online, to prevent the oil from going in the air intake. Nothing seems to work but, the fact is. It runs great, gets great mileage and it has plenty of power. So, I just periodically wipe my air intake pipe out and call it good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats what i thought. it isnt acting up at all and what the mechanics where telling didnt make any sense to me, so thank you for taking my stress away. this is my dd and its good to know that it wont have to be out of service

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
when you are talking about oil in the air box ..how much oil are you talking about ????
Depending on how wore your ccv valve is depend on how much. You can put a little small cone filter on it and you don't have worry about blow by.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I get oil spots on my air filter. Same problem?

·
Registered
342 Posts
If you have oil in the air filter you need to replace the CCV elbow that sits ontop of the valve cover. It will be the elbow at the front of the cover and has a hose going from the elbow to the air box. You can order them new from jeepoemparts.com once you have the part number for a few bucks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem only I have no airbox. I had the front line from the valve cover just ran down behind the PS pump. It was fine for a couple of years but in the past 6 months or so it's been worse. I got tired of oil blowing all over the engine compartment so I ran a hose down below the engine to solve that problem. I have also tried the small cone filter on the valve cover deal. It took all of 10 min. of driving to fill it up. There is some type of baffle inside the valve cover where the elbow goes in that looks like it can be replaced but I don't know.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
I got this problem too but it's very light coating of oil. I change my air filter every 3k so it's not really a big deal to me right now. I only got 91k on it (2001) and will be doing a VC gasket soon so i'll tackle the elbow/hose while i'm at it. Until then, it's just a constant flow of fram filters.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
i think i have a bigg issue !! i get about 1 qt every week in my airbox ! what should i do ??? new motor ?
1 qt? an entire bottle? your jeep should be hydro locked with oil then. :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
1 qt? an entire bottle? your jeep should be hydro locked with oil then. :)

Nah. You can burn a TON of oil without locking the engine. It's only going to trickle in at that rate. However, if it's blowing that much you just MIGHT need a ring job.

On my MJ, I plugged the front CCV port and just put a little K&N on the rear one. It smokes (duh) and sometimes a little oil splatters inside the little filter, but it works. The EPA would not agree with me though.

Another trick, that I guess works and I'd like to have somebody try, is to take off the valve cover and cut the CCV towers down. They're too tall, I guess, and half the problem is just oil getting splashed in there. Or so I hear. I was going to give it a shot on my XJ, but that won't be too soon.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Nah. You can burn a TON of oil without locking the engine. It's only going to trickle in at that rate. However, if it's blowing that much you just MIGHT need a ring job.

On my MJ, I plugged the front CCV port and just put a little K&N on the rear one. It smokes (duh) and sometimes a little oil splatters inside the little filter, but it works. The EPA would not agree with me though.

Another trick, that I guess works and I'd like to have somebody try, is to take off the valve cover and cut the CCV towers down. They're too tall, I guess, and half the problem is just oil getting splashed in there. Or so I hear. I was going to give it a shot on my XJ, but that won't be too soon.
I actually meant that if he has 1 qt of oil in his airbox, it should be getting sucked into the intake, like water would.

·
Registered
15 Posts
huh i might just try the valve cover thing this weekend i just looed at it today and i can see it running into the air box ! the funny thing is it does not smoke and it runs great !

·
Registered
334 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts