Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 4.0 currently has under 2,000 miles after being rebuilt a year ago. For the past year I've just been throwing money at it for a few different things but mostly an oil leak issue. The first was when I drove about 400 miles (round trip) and went through about 10 qts of oil. Oil was coming out pretty fast, hitting the exhaust causing a smoke trail.. Anyhow, had the rear main replaced bc that was the only place it was coming from. Was fine for a bit then the crankshaft seal needed to be replaced bc it started leaking there.. then recently it started leaking from the distributor.. replaced the seal and the gasket.. still leaked.. replaced the synchronizer and sensor. Did great about 150 miles in then I started losing oil pressure again and it took about 2 qts to top it off. And it lost more oil before I made it home. It looks like it's losing oil around the oil pan gasket bc it was dripping down one whole side of the oil pan..

Both of my mechanics agree that it's holding a lot of pressure. Valve cover hoses are fine. One mechanic recommends I make the hole bigger in the pvc elbow in the back and go to a 15/50 oil and change to a different brand of filter and use an oil additive. The other mechanic agrees with making the hole bigger on the elbow and also the next size up hose, I think it'd be 3/8? But not switch to a heavier oil.. (the second mechanic is the one who rebuilt it)

All the seals and gaskets were brand new and installed properly.. it's almost like the oil is finding the path of least resistance and pushing through creating a new leak everytime we fix it. The oil pressure gauge will read 40 until it starts leaking.. and I'll stop at about 20 and have to add more oil..

Thoughts? Ideas?

*note - the oil pan was dented in a small area to fit a bigger aftermarket oil pump but it was taken off and is back to stock now. Neither mechanic thinks it could be a cause to the issue but I thought I'd add that. And no leaks from the dent area.

·
Super Moderator
1,166 Posts
It's a Jeep, it's not leaking it's marking it's territory.

Reactions: Punkee
1 - 7 of 7 Posts