Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee sport.
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle

My check gauges light popped up while driving and I see the oil pressure gauge is at 0. Pulled over and checked everything. Oil level good, nothing leaking. After starting again to drive home the (check gauges) light goes off for about 5 minutes then check gauges light comes back on. Soon after someone driving behind me flags me down because he saw my Jeep start smoking and I didn't know. Couldn't find where or what was leaking. Keep in mind the day this occured it was over 100° . Any ideas would greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Need to find out where and what was leaking and causing that smoke.
As far as the pressure goes first thing to do IMO is put a mechanical oil pressure tester on the Jeep and see what it is.
You really care more about the reading at a hot idle but at the this point we are really just trying to see if the sensor might be bad.
Also the little hole the sensor does go in sometimes gets gunked up over time.
Could be the case and causing the sensor not to read properly.
I have read that guys have used pipe cleaners to clean that out so....
Oh and give the wiring to the connector to the sensor a look.
Frayed wired, loose terminals, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve a ‘97 grand cherokee. Oil pressure sensor actually came apart, causing zero oil pressure reading on gauge. I didn’t notice at first. Plastic housing snaps onto metal. If that’s what it is, just replace it. Not worth trying to fix…it will fall apart again. Experienced that already

1 - 4 of 4 Posts