Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
A few days after this I bought some new tires because my death wobble wore out the front set(fix the DW by the way)

Maxxis 32inch Big Horn

After ripping of a the other fenders I decided to buy an Angel Grinder and do some fender trimming what do you think.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Looks good!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks a lot, I had to put the doors back on for a few days and I hated.

Trimming the rear fenders, adding 2 inch shackle and front spacer for a little more room. Also a transfer case drop this weekend!

I'll add more photos.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Be very careful trimming the rear quarters. Cant take off more than bout 1/2" or so. There are spo welds that hold the 1/4 to the inner fender. If you cut to far they will seperate and your 1/4 will flap in the breeze. Could reach up right into your jeep lol. It's not a good thing. Look closely and you will see what i mean.

Also your at 3" of lift now? Going up another 2" is a lot more than a t-case drop, shackles, and pucks. You need control arms, longer brake lines, adjusable track bar, longer shocks, and most likely a SYE and CV shaft. I highly doubt a t-case drop will be enough. 4" is normally about the cut off point for that. Do a little homework before you get yourself in for more than you expected. Hate when that happens lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey nicely done, I was a little hesitate about cutting the rear and i have been doing a lot of research on that end, thanks.

All dully noted— a little more research, i was hoping that the two inch spacers in the front wouldn't have to much effect on the angle of the Axel.

thanks 95xj

·
Registered
155 Posts
NP The difference between 3 and 5 inches is huge. 4" is lind of the XJ cut off before having to dig deeper.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Your jeep is coming along nicely how do you like the bighorn tires? I have a set of 31's waiting to go on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rear Fender Trim:

Tools:
Angle grinder
Hammer
Rubber Mallet
Sharpie
Truck Bed Spray Liner

Approach:
I started off with the angle grinder and trimmed about a half inch off, right below the binding welds— don't cut above that or you'll have a hell of a time trying to get a good seal.

Then I took my sharpie and drew some guide lines along the fender lip. Grabbed the angle grinder and started making slits up to the guide line.

Next step was hammering those tabs in, took hour or so on both side to make it look nice. Then I tapped up and sanded her down prepped it for the bed liner.

I'll post the finished product later

·
Registered
303 Posts
Looking great, I had a hell of a time trying to beat the sheet metal up on mine. I'm running 33's on 5.5 inches. Yours doesn't look too bad though.

I still need to finish painting mine, but it's garaged for now so I'm not worried about rust.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well heres the finished outcome of the rear fender trim. I'm pretty happy about it.

Rusty's Front Fender installation:

Tools:
Angle Grinder
Rivet Gun
Water Based Marker
Power Drill
1/8 Drill Bit
Approach:
Well this project was pretty straight forward. Traced around the flare with the marker for placement. Drilled my 1/8 rivet hole every 4-5 inches, Rivet and call it a day.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Bone yard finds: Overhead console, Hitch receiver

Went to the local Pick n pull and picked up a hitch receiver for $16.00! The electriical plug-in cover is a little messed up but with a little grinding and painting shes gonna look real good.

Also picked up a overhead console, it was in perfect condidtion till i got my muddy hands on it. Should be able to clean it all the way. Just nervous about cutting a additional hole.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Pictures not showing.

hey which flares did you get? standard or flex? Did you take advantage of his $40 per flare clearance deal? he said they were slightly scratched but they can be painted over.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pictures not showing.

hey which flares did you get? standard or flex? Did you take advantage of his $40 per flare clearance deal? he said they were slightly scratched but they can be painted over.
Hey I think you were quick on the draw before I edited the post and fixed the photos, are they working now?

Heck yes I got them from rusty's, 40 a pop, only ones left was the standard, and they looked perfect. Scott said there was scratches but didn't see any. Think I'll order the rear cause it kinda looks a little off what do you think?

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Hey I think you were quick on the draw before I edited the post and fixed the photos, are they working now?

Heck yes I got them from rusty's, 40 a pop, only ones left was the standard, and they looked perfect. Scott said there was scratches but didn't see any. Think I'll order the rear cause it kinda looks a little off what do you think?
Pictures work now. :)

Man I was gonna order a pair of those front flares but right as I was thinking about it I decided to give the xj to the lady and she's not interested in 33's right now so I don't need em anymore. Awesome deal though!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hitch receiver installation

Well here's another update.

I grinded off the mangled electric plug-in casing, got primed and painted.

I had such a bad time install this hitch receiver, I was cursing the Cherokee designers for days. I got it all ready to install and noticed there wasn't a nut strip on the drivers side, why wouldn't they just install them on both side grr.:brickwall: So i had to removed the end caps, remove the rear bumper, jimmy rigged my bolts to my wrench and a rope and push the wrench so it's lined up with the holes in the frame.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts