Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are my two favorite shocks to run on jeeps so I thought I'd compare them both for those who want soft shock valved for jeeps. I ran the old man emu's for about 7 months and then switched to the skyjackers.

Here's what I'm comparing:

4x4 Connection - OME Shock Absorbers

Skyjacker Hydro 7000 Shocks - OK4WD

On road manners: Both seem to ride very smooth and absorb the bumps very well. The skyjackers seem to be a little bit softer than the OME's.

Off road manners: I took both on a medium speed dirt road with small sized mud holes here and there. The old man emu's are just a bit bumpy when going slow but excel at faster speeds. The skyjackers are balanced at both slow and fast speeds. Since the skyjackers are softer, you get that "rocking" sensation when going slow over big holes or rocks. It's nothing major but you do notice it.

Construction: OME's are built better with shields to protect the shock shaft. Skyjackers are built like any ordinary aftermarket shock and come with boots to protect the shock shaft. I did not use the boots. My previous experience (TJ) with both of these shocks have shown that the skyjackers rust a bit faster than the old man emu's. It's critical to install the shocks very carefully and not chip the paint by bumping it on parts. Skyjackers are made in Mexico, while OME's are from Australia (this is what's stamped on the shock).

Overall: Both shocks are perfectly valved for cherokees and give you a nice smooth ride. OME's are twice the cost of the skyjackers ($80 each) but are built better and last alot longer. They come in two sizes for our cherokees, one for their lift kit (2") and a long travel version (4"). The skyjackers come in a variety of sizes to fit different lift heights.

Hope this helps those who are lookin for a soft riding shock. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
nice,, great info Mud

1 - 4 of 4 Posts