Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright well im running 31's now but plan on running 33's in the near future what gearing size should i go with? 4.10's? or lower? the jeep is a daily driver. also where do you guys order your gears from and wheres the cheapest i have the d30 and d35 still

·
Premium Member
9,253 Posts
4.10s would work for a daily driver, but if you want more power you might like 4.56 better. 33s are right in the middle of both ratios for optimum streetability.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in the d35 would i need a low ratio carrier my jeep is a p5 and has abs and ive heard that i wouldnt need it

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
If you know you're going to move up to 33's, then hold off on the regearing until you put the 33's on. Once the 33's are on the XJ, then gear to 4.56's.

IMO, 31's and 3.55's is probably not terrible, 33's and 3.55's is hell, trust me. 4.56's and 33's will also be very nice offroad in 4Lo, the crawl ratio will feel like a crawl ratio.

I'd also take Kyle's advice, and get rid of the Dana 35. Regearing typically means that you'll want to add a locker, no sense in doing that to a Dana 35 because it just isn't strong enough to take 33's and a locker with repeated abuse.

So my plan of action would be
axle swap --> 3.55's --> Regear and Locker

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you know you're going to move up to 33's, then hold off on the regearing until you put the 33's on. Once the 33's are on the XJ, then gear to 4.56's.

IMO, 31's and 3.55's is probably not terrible, 33's and 3.55's is hell, trust me. 4.56's and 33's will also be very nice offroad in 4Lo, the crawl ratio will feel like a crawl ratio.

I'd also take Kyle's advice, and get rid of the Dana 35. Regearing typically means that you'll want to add a locker, no sense in doing that to a Dana 35 because it just isn't strong enough to take 33's and a locker with repeated abuse.

So my plan of action would be
axle swap --> 3.55's --> Regear and Locker
X2 on all counts. 4.56s for sure if/when you regear, but I also wouldn't waste any money on the D35, unless said money is spent replacing it. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts