Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after looking over things on the net we are thinking of adding Banks torque tube headers,(stock ones have a crack surprise lol) A Airaid TB spacer and some type of side nerf bars-steps,also need new shocks,I will be driving on the street 99.9% of the time and off-roading will be mostly in sand i.e. the beach,What do you guys think are we going in the right direction?Can anyone recommend a good all around shock for mostly street use? Thanks in advance for your input! C.W.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Well after looking over things on the net we are thinking of adding Banks torque tube headers,(stock ones have a crack surprise lol) A Airaid TB spacer and some type of side nerf bars-steps,also need new shocks,I will be driving on the street 99.9% of the time and off-roading will be mostly in sand i.e. the beach,What do you guys think are we going in the right direction?Can anyone recommend a good all around shock for mostly street use? Thanks in advance for your input! C.W.
I went cheap on my header, rugged ridge, $167.

I was going to do the nerf bars but they stick out a ways and can hang you up on things.

I decided on the rock sliders from DetoursUSA. The only rock my rig will see is the random pebble on/off road. Just because I don't do rocks doesn't mean I don't need the protection. When the water gets high in Houston, you cannot see what you are driving over. They tuck up tight to the rig, plus my wife can use it as a step to get in and out of the Jeep.

Anyway, I'm going to get the welded frame stiffeners and rock sliders. (XJ-1) www.detoursusa.com

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
APN or Ruddedridge on the header. the Throttle spacer is an ok mod, it makes only a slight difference. I have one I bought on Ebay, much cheaper and does the same.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP-CHEROKEE-HELIX-THROTTLE-BODY-SPACER-92-03-SAVE-GAS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem140289477284QQitemZ140289477284QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

If your going to lift and want to a good ride OME 2" lift and OME shocks with a set of 30" All terrain tires will work great. Good replacement stock shock , get a set Monroe Sensa tracs, or more expensive option would be Bilsteins.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Definately Monroe. If ya wanna do fancy for the street, Edelbrock has a few nice set-ups, but they're pricey... I have a set of Skyjacker on order right now from some off-road place in like KY or TN that has an e-bay store, it was like $135 for the set for a 3" lift... Not too bad...

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Skip the throttle body spacer, there's just not enough bang to justify the buck. If you want to increase the breathing some, get a bored-out throttle body and a drop-in high-flow filter (this also helps reduce how much garbage goes into landfills). Other than that I wouldn't bother with any "performance" mods unless something needs to be replaced (ie: muffler, cat converter, etc).

For the most part I agree with everyone else on getting some sturdy rocker guards instead of a set of nerf bars... however... I ran a set of 2-step SmittyBilt nerf bars on my XJ for a number of years and was quite happy with them. They're no rock-rails, but they stood up to a surprising amount of abuse (of course, my rocker panels also have dents from the nerf bars to prove it).

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
I just installed the APN Header on my '95 and i had no clearance problems. It took my about 6hrs. on the install.

I will say though, a Ratcheting 14mm Wrench was required for the middle 2 bolts on the bottom!
:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts