Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Jeepers,

Just need some help. I’m Overheating still after I changed the thermostat and changed the coolant. Thought it could of been a clogged heater core and wasn’t cycling. But flushed that out with the hose and flowed clear and steady. Also replaced the temp sensor to see if it was reading funny.

At idle after 20mins it’ll start to overheat and boil like crazy in the reservoir. Bought a triple row aluminum radiator and shroud with 3-9” electric fans. Two hooked up to flexilite relay and one to OG fan relay. I did notice the fans not kicking on at temp but still should be fine at idle, right?

·
Premium Member
10,111 Posts
I take it your Jeep has been real hot recently?

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Hey bud , what's the year of your XJ? Very pertinent information, this would tell us whether we are dealing with an open or closed cooling system. Have you changed anything to your cooling system other than what you have stated in the above? Did you burb your system when you replaced your rad.......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My fault it’s a 1997, I believe it’s a open system.? How do you burp it without a fancy funnel cap radiator deal?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I replaced the radiator about two years ago along with new HPS hoses and water pump. I removed clutch fan and put 3- 9” fans. Two are connected to flexilite relay switch and 1 to original electric fan. It’s been great since then all of a sudden I started it after few days and it overheated at idle.??

·
Premium Member
10,111 Posts
One thing I do is drill a small hole 1/8" or less in the tstat. Takes care of burping

·
Super Moderator
10,988 Posts
Cooling system works by air flowing over the cooling fins on the radiator. If the water pump is working, it will flow coolant through the motor and into the radiator where the air pulls the heat from the radiator. if your fans are not working, then the system is just pumping hot coolant back into the engine. The stock mechanical fans spins the entire time the engine is running. It actually has a "clutch" the lets the fan kinda float and not pull a lot of air which saves horsepower, as the engine heats, the fan clutch will tighten and cause the fan to spin faster moving more air. if the engine temp continues to rise, then the aux or electric fans kicks on. But you only have electric fans, 9" at that. One should be on at all times. the others can be controlled electronically or on a switch.

I replaced my stock mechanical fan with a taurus electric fan. the fans are controlled by the ECM and on an override toggle. sitting at idle the fans will kick on. but only run for a short time before shutting off. I can get my engine temps down to 160 if I leave them on.

Jumper all your fans and have them on. if the engine temps stay down, then you know your cooling system is working. if the temps still rise, you may need a water pump.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!! I appreciate everyone, their knowledge, and time. I’ll drill a hole in the thermostat and get my fans to turn on full time or on a toggle. Much love jeepers!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts