Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1990 xj laredo. its a 10 amp fuse for the parking lights, tail lights, gauge dimmer switch, and that annoying buzzer noise. the only way i can get it to work is to put a 30 amp fuse in it but the brake lights are barely shining it burns anything less. Somewhere there is a short could someone help point me in the direction of tracing it down?? i just fixed the grounds to the block that come out of the wiring harness left hand rear of motor 2 black wires broke free from the connector.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Check all of the sockets for the light bulbs for the taillight and parking lights. This happened to me on my '00 a couple years ago. Turns out that due to a cracked lense, water got into it during a rain storm and shorted out one of the two sockets for the parking lights on the driverside. Caused the short, sent me crazy looking for it. All I did was replace that socket and it's good as new.

·
muddin moderator
4,045 Posts
well ... i hate to say it but my brothers (the a** hole he is) '90 had a really similar problem i re ran the wires off the switch .... problem solved try it its a lot easier than you think worst case scenario your out 3 or 4 bucks for wire and an hour of time

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ok so today i spent about 5 hours trying to trace it down. The fuse blows when i turn on my running lights. i pulled all the light bulbs the back first then the front and it still popped the fuse. i replaced the headlight switch after that and it still pops the fuse. haynes manual says the wire from the fuse runs to the headlight switch then to the front left marker and directional light then to the switch in the steering column so i cut the two blue wires from the headlight switch and the fuse doesnt blow but only my gauge lights work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i decided to re wire it today i got the fronts done tomorrow im doing the rear. what lights on the rear do i need to run power to?? the top three??

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
All of them... Each bulb should have it's own power and ground.

·
muddin moderator
4,045 Posts
All of them... Each bulb should have it's own power and ground.
you realize thats like 6 wires wired into one right?
makes no sense imo
its easier to parrallel circut it:dunno:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check all of the sockets for the light bulbs for the taillight and parking lights. This happened to me on my '00 a couple years ago. Turns out that due to a cracked lense, water got into it during a rain storm and shorted out one of the two sockets for the parking lights on the driverside. Caused the short, sent me crazy looking for it. All I did was replace that socket and it's good as new.
I think I'm having this same issue with my 2002. If it's not the socket which specific fuse does the back left tail light run off? If it is a socket issue, where would I go about getting one? The local Autozone doesn't carry a tail light socket for a 99-04 jeep grand cherokee Larado. Still havn't check O'Reily, hammonds, or the other local auto part stops.

·
Registered
31 Posts
my fuse keep blowing also and i traced it down to my wiring harness for my trailer. it rubbed enough on the body to create a pin hole short. check there also if ya got a wiring harness.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts