Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys!!
Im hoping you all could help me with a problem im having in my 00' XJ. Okay, so when i bought it, the passenger side window control was working intermitently, but as i could control the windows operation from the driver side, it was not a big deal. But, yesterday my buddy rolls down the pass window so he could smoke a cigarette, it went down about halfway, but not up. It will still roll down, but not up. I think its not the motor, because it will go down. What could this be? Were supposed to get 6-1o inches of snow with it being windy and the garbage bag isnt doing it for me. i am so pissed. I hear it is a common problem for the door speakers to stop working because the connections rattle apart? Could this be the same problem i am having with the switch? Also my door speakers dont work. So how do I take off the door panel to get at all this mess? How do I fix? Please advise. thank you in advance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's most likely your drivers side window/lock control panel.

Mine did the same thing.
Slam the doors a couple of times then try the switch.
Then either go to your local "pick a part" and get a used one, or try one of the chinese ones they sell on e-bay.

My door speakers were bad too.
Just get a pair of 5 1/4" replacements. Some say 6 1/5 will fit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My WJ did that. I swapped the entire window regulator. Alot of the guides for the actuator cables are crap plastic and after 10 years of use, tend to go south, allowing only one direction of travel due to binding. Like I said, replaced mine, problem solved.

Edit - To remove our door panels, theres gonna be a little plastic triangle at the front of the door at the A piller. Start there. Pry him off to expose the first phillips head screw. Then check your door handle on the inside, should be another phillps there too. Also on the pull handle.

Now my XJ has crank windows, so I have to pull that off, you don't have to, but pop out the control panel to look for anymore hidden screws before pulling the door panel off. Next, take a flathead and slip it inbetween the plastic and metal. Start at a bottom corner to make life easier.

The panel on ours lips into the window crease, so the final step will be lifting the entire panel upward.

NOTE!!! - BEFORE YOU FULLY REMOVE THE PANEL!!! There will be 2 rods running inside the door. One connects to the inner door handle, the other to the inner door lock. USE care when popping these out. I found using a pair of pliers and (hard to describe) popping the rod out NOT PULLING IT!! is the best way. Play with it to get an idea of how it works, you'll see what I'm talking about. And yes, break a plastic retaining clip that the rod goes into - that will ruin your day.

As for speaker size, I've got 6 1/2 in mine, fit just fine. Good luck!

·
Registered
70 Posts
MY 99 is like that also. The passenger side window switch only works sometimes. MY buddy has a dodge ram 2500 with the same switch setup and also has the same exact problem.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so im going to take apart the drivers side door to fix the passenger side window? two you said its the drivers side window controler/ window lock. I will try if i can get into a heated garage today, seeing as it is about 20 degrees outside. But who knows,frustration might take over and i will just bundle up and go for it. OK guys i will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so i took apart the drivers door and checked the plugs in the back of the window switch. They all seemed secure and plugged in. I pulled them out and plugged them back in. Nothing. Switched sides and reapeated the process. Still nothing. A side note: I was able to still put down the pass window with the control on my side, but now I cant controll it at all on my side. Control on pass side still brings window down. This is crazy guys. I neeeeeed to be able to have this window up at the very least. So how would I do that? And how would I disconnect the inside door latch from the two metal rods coming from the ouutside door handle? thank you so much guys.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Not sure how to fix the "no roll up" problem, as my old ZJ did the same thing but I never figured it out.

As for getting the door handle "unhooked", first unscrew the "soapdish" looking thing that surrounds door handle. Then pull it outward to expose whats behind it. Like perviously said, it's hard to describe what it looks like and I tried to draw something up in paint but that was a joke. The metal rods have a hook type end on them like this
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2161/1873457824_56f8eb43d4.jpg?v=0

Don't just rip them out otherwise you'll break them. The hook part slides down into a hole and then a clip is attached to secure it into place. They can sometimes be a biatch to get off but it sucks alot more when they break. HTH.

·
Registered
191 Posts
learning here, banking this for my own issue, my driver unlock switch does not permit any passenger to operate their own window.

i may need to do this. warm weather.

door panel puller

1 - 11 of 11 Posts