Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, While I was driving to the RMV I realized that my XJ was running hot and the “check gauges” cluster lit up…so I parked it and turned of the truck for it to cool off.. a few minutes later I got out and realized tons radiator fluid leaked out from underneath.

I checked the puke tank and all the coolant was gone from the container…checked all the hoses and clamps and didn’t see anything that suggested a leak. Checked the radiator and it was full of fluid. Checked the oil and it had plenty of oil.

I let the Jeep cool off and filled up the puke take with half water and half coolant just to get home. Blasted the heater and started my journey back home. While driving the fuel pressure gauge would drop down to 0 and the “check gauges” light would come on while idled at a stops sight or light…when in motion the fuel gauge would move up to the middle of the gauge as if had good pressure. The temperature gauge was normal and was not showing overheating temperatures.

When looking under the truck the leak seems to be coming just behind the puke take dripping just behind the passenger tire…possibly behind the firewall.

The night before i had it inspected and got a new sticker and I changed the battery….

I do not have an ODB tool to diagnose.

Has anyone had this issue or know what it could be? How much am I looking at in cost in having this fixed? I’m so broke and am hoping I can diagnose and fix this myself. Any advise or information would greatly be appreciated

Thanks guys,

Fletch
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Tire Tread

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Tire Tread

Automotive tire Gas Tints and shades Circle Concrete

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Water

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Bicycle part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Auto part

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread Wood Motor vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
check the heater control valve. they usually leak right at the lever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First what year?

Second, it sounds like you tried to fill the radiator through the overflow tank. You have to fill the radiator first. Check your heater hoses and the tank for cracks
2001. The radiator had plenty of fluid in it. The puke tank was empty. I had to keep filling it with water just to get home.

The leaking seems to be coming from behind the firewall. When looking under the undercarriage it’s dripping just behind the passenger side front tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,267 Posts
probably the heater core and it's leaking out through the a/c evaporator condensation weep hole.
you can plug or clamp off the 2 hoses going into the firewall and that will give you time till you can get it fixed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts