Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Rented this bobcat today so I can level out the pad for my pole barn. Its level toward the front and middle, but back where I'm standing i have to remove 2' of soil and push a bank way back to get some usable area around it. I could push it forward to reduce the amount of grading I have to do, but that leaves me with less than 20' in front of the pole barn before I have another steeper grade. This will be my weekend project.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Nice

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Looks like fun to me.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, that was a lot of work, but I enjoyed doing it!

I dont ever take good before photos, but trust me when I say that before hand it looked like garbage up here. I found a ton of garbage, concrete, aluminum siding, etc, that had been dumped up here then haphazardly buried by other debris. Most of the photos show where I moved all of the dirt to, used to be a giant bowl wlfilled with scrub brush. Now its cleared and all level, which is way nicer. I feel like this will cut down on the tick population behind my house now.

I ended up moving a metric f***load of soil to make this happen, and toward the end, I was exceeding this machine capability to move anymore dirt back. So now I'll end up bringing in a skidsteer to move the banks back more, its not quite to my liking yet, but its a damn good start. I ended up putting 16 hours on the machine over the weekend.

I will continue to update this thread as more progress is made. Now its time for me to go to the village to get my permit for the project.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Great progress. I know what you mean by moving all that soil. I have done a few projects like that myself

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Village zoning officer called me today, he went through my paperwork finally, I turned that in a couple weeks ago. He needed me to pay for the permit so that he could deny it and send everything to the planning board, since I paid for the variance for the structure already. Lots of red tape involved in this process, but in the end I should have the permit to build, looking to start the construction when the snow melts.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
I hate all that bureaucratic BS

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Personally, I would build it and put a tire on each corner and told them it is a mobile structure..... no permit needed for that here ...hell as far as the county is concerned I dont have a garage 🤫

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
I built a shop on a steel frame that was portable :D No permit for that either

Reactions: XJSuperman

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Don't even need wheels, just skids! Stake it down, pour concrete inside, call it good. Glad to see you making some progress though, even if it is slow.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One happy camper right now!!! Got my building permit approved! Went and got 15k out so my guy could get the materials for the barn. In about 3 or 4 weeks they should begin to build it. So pumped about it!

Next steps are to make a list of materials in going to need to make a driveway, build the pad, run utilities and stuff to finish off the interior. Theres a ton of things to bring into consideration, but itll be good regardless. This will be one sick shop.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Congrats. Every guy needs a good shop

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
According to my buddy, material should start showing up in a week or two now. Im getting pumped to have this started. Got a lot of other material to acquire still, but there's time yet.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
All I can say is "get her done"

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Conex is gone! Now I have a baren pad ready for the barn to go up, I'm getting antsy now!!

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There have been a few hangups with getting material around for the barn, hard to believe, but the cost of lumber has skyrocketed from when I got my quote originally. :rolleyes: The good news is there's a work around to keep the cost the same, I will be using rough cut lumber where possible, yet still using pressure treated lumber for posts.

Thats not an issue though. I wasn't happy with the leveled area in how much space I'd have around the barn, so I brought home a skidsteer and went to town. Ill try to post some videos after I load em up to youtube, but I put in some hours to get this where it is, and now I'm happy! The intent was to be able to have a bay door in the side, had I not brought home this machine, it would not have been possible. It was a beast, moved dirt like no tomorrow and I pushed over some large trees with it.

·
Super Moderator
10,986 Posts
Yeah lumber here has skyrocketed too. Not exactly sure why. Glad work is progressing. Skid steers are awesome!

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Must be because the trees got covid

1 - 20 of 37 Posts