Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dunno: When i turn left i hear a popping sound, almost sounds like one of the springs suddenly letting loose. Only when i turn left does it happen, but only happens on about 50% of the turns, cant tell if i am doing something different sometimes or not. And it will only happen once, i can drive in circles left an only have it happen once or not at all. Very confused.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Also check your u-joints. They're usually not that loud, but it is a possibility. My guess would be the trackbar though, the hole at the axle mount probably wallowed out, and so when you pull the wheel in one direction you'll hear it moving. Also check your quicker disconnects (if you have them) my RE Gen II discos make a racket, even after uninstalling and reinstalling them fresh several times :(

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
check the bolts of the steering box.. also..it might be a lil loose. and move a lil

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry i have not posted back sooner, i have checked that trac bar, lca, u-joints and everything else i can possibly think of...and nothing, still occasionally popping...still driving me nuts :devil:

·
Budget Master
1,145 Posts
mabie a worn out barring in the left wheel... i had to help dad fix his 2500hds barrings in his left front wheel recently. you cant just order the barrings for it we had to order the hole hub... it wasnt to expecive... not to hard to fix if thats the problem... um i forgot how we figured out that was the problem lol.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
I have the same popping noise on a left turn when the axle flexes just a bit. There's a dip in the road where the road meets my apt's parking lot and i turn into it going left. It pops sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I can't figure it out.

It could be the sway bar bushings (upper frame bushings). I haven't checked those yet. When i bought my jeep, it had worn sway bar bushings that popped only on right turns. When turning right, the sway bar on the passenger side is pulled down and since the bushing was worn, the bar hits the bracket holding it instead of the bushing doing it's job. I did replace those bushings with cheapo bushings from the parts store but they could be worn already.

·
Registered
373 Posts
There are 3 bolts into the unibody frame rail directly below the drivers side motor mount, 16mm IIRC. Put a wrench on them and make sure they are really tight.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
There are 3 bolts into the unibody frame rail directly below the drivers side motor mount, 16mm IIRC. Put a wrench on them and make sure they are really tight.
Are you speaking of the trackbar mount bolts or something else?

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
No, I'm not talking about the TC bracket mounting bolts. Just as I described.
TC bracket mounting bolts? I'm totally confused now.

·
Registered
307 Posts
same problem. can't get it figured out. I'm just gonna rip out the whole thing, plate the frame rails (especially around the steering box), and build long arms.

mine is probably a combination of old (not worn) ujoints, sway bar links (loose RC pieces o crap), and RC 6.5" adj. control arms. probably all looser than I can gauge...I've tightened and re-tightened everything but *shrug*

1 - 16 of 16 Posts