Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

521 - 540 of 556 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,073 Posts
Howdy, If you all haven't; figured it out, I am a bit anal. :) And seeing the cable on my new winch all gobble de gook, bugged me. Soooo, I made a "P-r-o-t-o-t-y-p-e winch cable tensioner" :D Its basically 2 pieces of 3/8" thick nylon stock. I clamped them together, drilled a 23/64" hole (1/64" smaller than my cable) down the middle, and whala, I had my tensioner. I pulled my cable out till the last wrap, It was even so I didn't take it off. put the cable between the blocks, clamped them together with my vise grips, and bumped the winch to pull the "tensioner" up against the fairlead. Once it was tight against it, I just kept winding the cable in using the vise grips to direct the cable to wind evenly. I must say, it worked pretty good. Sorry about the crappy pics. Its dark here.

Attachments

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #523
Howdy, If you all haven't; figured it out, I am a bit anal. :) And seeing the cable on my new winch all gobble de gook, bugged me. Soooo, I made a "P-r-o-t-o-t-y-p-e winch cable tensioner" :D Its basically 2 pieces of 3/8" thick nylon stock. I clamped them together, drilled a 23/64" hole (1/64" smaller than my cable) down the middle, and whala, I had my tensioner. I pulled my cable out till the last wrap, It was even so I didn't take it off. put the cable between the blocks, clamped them together with my vise grips, and bumped the winch to pull the "tensioner" up against the fairlead. Once it was tight against it, I just kept winding the cable in using the vise grips to direct the cable to wind evenly. I must say, it worked pretty good. Sorry about the crappy pics. Its dark here.
Good old back yard ingenuity, that’s what it is all about. :thumbsup:

·
Marshmallow
3,780 Posts
91 XJ. My angle iron winch mount. Has had the 242 tcase swapped for a 2,4hi and 4lo. 231?? Fun *** jeep. Best $650 spent ever. Gotta get tires and register it when taxes come in
You should move the football (vacuum ball) up into the engine compartment so you don't wack it. Easy to do and lets you check for vacuum leaks at the same time.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Where does it mount on the hub side? I know one goes from tre to tre but where does the steering one mount? To the factory hub location?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
The drag link? It attaches from the pitman arm to a hole in the TRE arm. Then tie rid like you said attaches from knuckle to knuckle. You can see the TRE with the hole in it in this picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
705 Posts
Watch "01 XJ Hatch Spare Tire Carrier" on YouTube
01 XJ Hatch Spare Tire Carrier:
anyone attempted anything like this?

·
Registered
21 Posts
So I moved my vac canister to engine compartment. I picked up some 31x10x15 general grabbers that are old but definitely got it done for me. I had to trim the front and rear bottoms of my front flares. The rears, only rub on the very bottom edge of the rear flare and quarter panel edge. I tapped the pinchweld or sharp edge of the quarter panels to fold em over in to the wheel well.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Watch "01 XJ Hatch Spare Tire Carrier" on YouTube
01 XJ Hatch Spare Tire Carrier: http://youtu.be/3fj1ffIHWTk anyone attempted anything like this?
IMO I wouldn't do that because the hatches are heavy anyways, xj's have an issue already with the strut mounts on the back pillar breaking anyways. unless you were able to upgrade the whole back hatch lift assistance somehow, it is going to be a B*tch to lift up once you mount the tire on it.

again just my opinion.

·
Registered
705 Posts
IMO I wouldn't do that because the hatches are heavy anyways, xj's have an issue already with the strut mounts on the back pillar breaking anyways. unless you were able to upgrade the whole back hatch lift assistance somehow, it is going to be a B*tch to lift up once you mount the tire on it.

again just my opinion.
This guy added struts using a total of 4 and appears to have tied into the hinges at the top for support of the tire my largest concern is that my hatch is fiberglass and I wasn't sure it would hold up without breaking in half basically, I do think it is a neat take on a spare rack though

521 - 540 of 556 Posts