Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am no mech, but I heard years ago to put power punch in when I change my oil. Yes, I do change my own oil every 2000 miles without fail. I do add power punch, is this good, or does it not make any difference?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I dunno WTH it is. I guess I could consult google. But I'm assuming snake oil... Which is generally true to anything 'they' recommend you add to your oil, gas, or intake.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Almost every oil additive will end up doing more harm then good. Just change your oil every 4,500 miles and call it good.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I agree. The only thing I know of that is better than oil, is synthetic oil. From what I've read you do not want to switch to synthetic on a high mileage motor though. Just just oil and a good oil filter.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Isn't that what Mike Tyson uses in Mike Tyson's Punch Out?

I never heard of it and don't think it matters whether you put it in or not. It's probably just oil disguised as OMG! GTFO! special oil.

The only additive i'd trust is Lucas.

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
IMO a Jeep is a simple creature, so keep it simple. No additives.

And to second what Mudderoy said, switching from conventional to synthetic on a high mileage engine is a bad idea. The detergents in synthetic oil will free up some of the gunk that's built up in your seals (aka "good" gunk) and cause the seals to leak. I don't know what kind of additives are in Power Punch, but if they contain such detergents, I'd discontinue its use.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Found this:

http://www.powerpunch.biz/Power_Punch_Oil.html
POWER PUNCH

POWER PUNCH OIL SUPPLEMENTS

POWER PUNCH OIL SUPPLEMENTS use the latest in Petroleum Polymer technology to increase the film strength of any oil. This stronger oil film is much harder to penetrate under load and heat and therefore prevents metal-to-metal contact, which causes wear, heat and wasted horsepower. Less wear and heat means much longer life for both the equipment and the oil. The high strength oil film also cushions the metal parts to provide quieter operation because shock loads are dampened. POWER PUNCH also stabilizes the viscosity of oil during high load or temperature operation to prevent breakdown and the creation of sludge.

POWER PUNCH used in an engine provides a better surface for sealing of piston rings and therefore more power available at the crankshaft. Higher compression, less contamination and lower heat all lead to more power, greater efficiency and lower emissions. Contamination of the oil by combustion products is also significantly reduced and this gives cleaner and longer lasting oil.
When you first start your engine all the oil is in the oil pan - unless you use POWER PUNCH! With the famous POWER PUNCH clinging power a protective film of oil remains adhered to your engine's critical parts - even if it sits for a long time. This film provides corrosion protection until you start your engine and lubrication until your engine's oil pressure is established.

In any type of equipment, prevention of oil leaks depends upon flexible seals as well as the film strength of the oil. POWER PUNCH keeps seals pliable and it's stronger film assists in keeping your garage floor clean and the oil where it should be … in your equipment. Less oil lost is money saved.

Hydraulic systems such as those in tractors, lift systems, automatic transmissions and power steering can also benefit from the qualities of POWER PUNCH. Adding approximately 10% POWER PUNCH will provide cooler operation, less wear, smoother control and control leaks. Substantially longer equipment life can result with less maintenance necessary and down time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You can get the same thing out of a bottle of castol high mileage synthetic which does not have a detergents it it which will free up gunk, but will also give you the added power of a synthetic oil. You don't need the oil additives, you aren't using your jeep to race down a drag strip where its going from idle to the rev limiter. And how it says that power punch makes the oil stick and "lubricate" after the vehicle is off. This is NOT a good thing, it causes build up on your rings and seals. The only way this additive would be good is if you are storing your vehicle for long period of time. I run castrol high mileage synthetic, if you want the power add of a synthetic use a high mileage synthetic. You're cutting your engine life down using that stuff.

·
Registered
324 Posts
From that description Power Punch is nothing more than a bottle full of viscosity modifiers. Not much different than Lucas Oil Stabilizer.

In other words.. not worth adding.

Good quality API-SL rated oil and a good quality filter and you will be FAR ahead of the game.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You can get the same thing out of a bottle of castol high mileage synthetic which does not have a detergents it it which will free up gunk, but will also give you the added power of a synthetic oil. You don't need the oil additives, you aren't using your jeep to race down a drag strip where its going from idle to the rev limiter. And how it says that power punch makes the oil stick and "lubricate" after the vehicle is off. This is NOT a good thing, it causes build up on your rings and seals. The only way this additive would be good is if you are storing your vehicle for long period of time. I run castrol high mileage synthetic, if you want the power add of a synthetic use a high mileage synthetic. You're cutting your engine life down using that stuff.
What VOA and UOA's, I can find for this oil show that it is high enough on Zinc and Phosphorous for our needs.. But has above 3000 ppm of Calcium, which is a detergent.... So just like most synthetics it has high levels of detergents.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I use Lucas in everything on all my cars...never had a problem. I even used it in our 9" rear ends and our Tex T101A's and T10's. I always caution against using engine flushes...
Other than that, everyone has their own preference on products and what to use/not use. Everything I own gets drained, and replaced with the lubes I love and trust. Same w/ everyone else.

·
Registered
231 Posts
i change my oil every 4500 miles with Mobile 1 full SYN 10w 30 with a over sized filter (Mobile 1 M1-301 I think) and every other change i use a bottle of Lucas. when i got the jeeps one had 97000 miles and now has 175000 (95 I6) and the other had 116000 and now has 166000 (97 I6) i flushed them with kerosene and so far no leaks. i have had to replace the rear main seal on the 95, but i hear thats a problem anyways.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am no mech, but I heard years ago to put power punch in when I change my oil. Yes, I do change my own oil every 2000 miles without fail. I do add power punch, is this good, or does it not make any difference?
I would stay away from oil additives! I used Slick 50 oil additive in a Bronco I had a few years ago and, within days, the motor gave out! Evidently not learning my lesson, I added Slick 50 trans additive to my Jeep and... you guessed it, the tranny failed just days later! For years I have run both my Jeep engines on 100% synthetic oil without problem. No more additives for me!

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I won't use it anymore, But I had been adding Power Punch to my jeep at every oil change when it hit 100,000 miles and my motor lasted up until I broke the head in half at 270,000 miles. Now though I have a donor motor that only has 98,000 miles and I will stay away from the Power Punch. Thanks.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I won't use it anymore, But I had been adding Power Punch to my jeep at every oil change when it hit 100,000 miles and my motor lasted up until I broke the head in half at 270,000 miles. Now though I have a donor motor that only has 98,000 miles and I will stay away from the Power Punch. Thanks.

270k really isn't too impressive out of 4.0L. People run them FAR past that without anything beyond just regular maintence.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is why I like my jeep. Everything I have ever owned befor has only made it to 250,000 on a wing and a prayer. I never had any problems with my jeep up until the water pump froze and over heated bad enough to break the head in half. If I treat my new donor motor well, how many miles should I be able to get from it?

·
Registered
608 Posts
That is why I like my jeep. Everything I have ever owned befor has only made it to 250,000 on a wing and a prayer. I never had any problems with my jeep up until the water pump froze and over heated bad enough to break the head in half. If I treat my new donor motor well, how many miles should I be able to get from it?
That all depends on what abuse it's experienced before, how well it's been maintained, how well the factory put it together, the bearings, the bearing clearances, etc etc etc...

Just maintain it nicely and it'll be fine...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts